Fly Fusion Forums

Fishing Dries During Spring?

Just wondering if anybody has luck fishing dries during spring (Mar. - May). Kyle and I were fishing above Mckinnon Flats last May and there was a huge BWO hatch but the trout were not keying in on them. I've been tying a few flies and wondering if I should tie a few dries just in case.

you'll find sporadic fish rising to them, but they certainly don't key into the BWO's when compared to the fall BWO and Pseudo hatch. Always good to have a few dries just in case. They don't take up much room in the fly box, and you'll regret not having them when you need them!

that happened right there, in that spot, at that time. one should never write a fishing book based on one experience. the best thing about this sport is that 100' feet away, the fishing could be completly different. an answer to your question is YES, dries are fished year round. of course winter/spring dries are better fished when rising trout are present. i always carry a griffiths gnat in winter, but only use it when a persistant trout is spotted. unlike summer/fall, when you can rig a dry no matter where or when yer fishin.

that happened right there, in that spot, at that time. one should never write a fishing book based on one experience. the best thing about this sport is that 100' feet away, the fishing could be completly different. an answer to your question is YES, dries are fished year round. of course winter/spring dries are better fished when rising trout are present. i always carry a griffiths gnat in winter, but only use it when a persistant trout is spotted. unlike summer/fall, when you can rig a dry no matter where or when yer fishin.

The reason I asked this question is because this is the only time I have seen such a hatch at that time of year. I wanted to hear other fishermans ideas/stories on this topic not "write a book" on this topic of which I have little knowledge of.

okay...well may is not early for bwos. so your right, you shouldnt write a book on the subject. and yes, i and many others have caught fish at that time of year with bwos. stop reading the posts so literally? the book was a metaphor, i was trying to tell you just because you never caught anything, doesnt mean half a click away i wasnt having an awesome bwo day!!!

Never Never fish drys in the spring or the summer for that matter .. edumacates the trout and they won't hit them again..

Ha Ha Ha

I always carry a few even in winter if a single fish or a small pod raises to drys and then I will tie one on and give a go... who the hell knows and then think of the story you have to tell ................... or not tell..

okay...well may is not early for bwos. so your right, you shouldnt write a book on the subject. and yes, i and many others have caught fish at that time of year with bwos. stop reading the posts so literally? the book was a metaphor, i was trying to tell you just because you never caught anything, doesnt mean half a click away i wasnt having an awesome bwo day!!!

Amazing how a fairly straightforward question can lead to nonsense such as this..

That was an interesting day Brad, can't wait to get out again.

dude nailed it.. havnt seen tons of fish on teh olives in teh spring but i do have a few good days each spring were i find a pod or fish or two rising too olives or midges... it never hurts too have a few in teh box. i remeber last year first or second week of april i found a few nice fish sipping olives with brian and was stoked too have a few dries in my box!

By April or May I am dead sick of deep nymphing and streamers. I'll often go to the river with a dry fly rod and look until I find a riser. I usually find one or a fish nymphig in shallow water. I've had some fast paced spring days on adult midges, and found some real pigs rising to bwo.

Pre-run off nymphing can be stellar, though. Easy to get distracted.

As posted its always best to be prepared and ready because early risers will usually take on the first good drift. Early season caddis before runoff can be quite good if you happen to be in the right place at the right time. When you see those heavy BWOs in the spring and nothin going on up top its usually because they are gorging down belowwhere the pickens are easier

A buddy emailed me last night talking about hot and heavy dry fly action yesterday in Calgary - described as very good first day out this year

Advice here is invaluable, but nothing beats the thrill of going out and experimenting and hooking up unexpectedly. I've hooked a lot of fish using techniques that fly in the face of proven and reccomended methods and hatch charts. Varying from the hatch charts will leave you with the occasional pleasure of having all the guys within sight standing on the bank behind you asking you what your using casue the "proven true" approaches just aren't working thast day - blaze your own trail once in a while, you'll be pleasantly surprised when things go well !!!

I,ve had some petty good days to midging trout on the surface in April. But I noticed even during some pretty heavy BWO hatches the fish seem to key in on the nymphs with only sporadic risers to be found. But I always carry a few dries because you never know.

I,ve had some petty good days to midging trout on the surface in April. But I noticed even during some pretty heavy BWO hatches the fish seem to key in on the nymphs with only sporadic risers to be found. But I always carry a few dries because you never know.

Got my first one today at the location. Saw a fish rise 3 times and figured what the hay. Tied on a small winter ------- and on the 2nd drift he nailed it. But wait fly was partially submerged in the riffle does that mean dry or emerger, hmmm just a thought now that i think about it.