Fly Fusion Forums

New Reel Question

I'm thinking of picking up a new reel for my 3 wt this year. I've been using a tfo and it's been good, but have been thinking of getting a good large arbour reel. I've heard some say that a large arbour isn't necessary for such a light rod. What is everyone's opinion on this? I do often fight fish on the reel.

The reel I'm currently looking at picking up is the Sage 3200, which is discontinued and on sale. It is fairly expensive but I'm thinking it may be worth it. Has anyone used this reel before? If so, how is it? Does anyone know of any other lightweight large arbour reels? I'm looking for anything under 3.5 ounces. Thanks

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

looks over kill and you might end up with the rod being really but heavy......but that arbour would look wicked HUGE in pics.

I use the Amundson 2/3 for my 2wt (no it doesnt see the bow), but it really depends on the fish you want to fight.

All good suggestions above but if I'm determined to spend the bucks? "look ta da islan mon", one of the IR series from Islander, sweet little Canadian built reel w/lifetime warranty. All my Lamsons are slowly being converted to Islander

I'm thinking of picking up a new reel for my 3 wt this year. I've been using a tfo and it's been good, but have been thinking of getting a good large arbour reel. I've heard some say that a large arbour isn't necessary for such a light rod. What is everyone's opinion on this? I do often fight fish on the reel.

The reel I'm currently looking at picking up is the Sage 3200, which is discontinued and on sale. It is fairly expensive but I'm thinking it may be worth it. Has anyone used this reel before? If so, how is it? Does anyone know of any other lightweight large arbour reels? I'm looking for anything under 3.5 ounces. Thanks

I have the 3200 on my 3 weight, and I love it. The 3200 is super light, and only has a click drag, but if you're fishing a 3 wt you're not really looking for the ability to stop a train. As with all Sage reels, you have a lifetime warranty "if" anything ever goes wrong with it, and that's unlikely, especially with the simplicity of this reel.

With the 3000 and 3000D series being discontinued you can pick up these reels for some great prices, but they tend to clear out fast. The new click series is replacing the 3000's but personally I think the 3000's are a much better looking reel, which on a 3 wt, that and how well it balances your setup is all that counts because it's not going to be doing much other than holding line anyways.

I have the 3200 on my 3 weight, and I love it. The 3200 is super light, and only has a click drag, but if you're fishing a 3 wt you're not really looking for the ability to stop a train. As with all Sage reels, you have a lifetime warranty "if" anything ever goes wrong with it, and that's unlikely, especially with the simplicity of this reel.

But they're so... ugly!

(IMO)

But they're so... ugly!

(IMO)

I second that but to each there own.

I'm still looking for a lighter reel for my 7 1/2 3wt. The Hardy Angel is still sitting at the top of my list but I looking for a made in England at a good price. Islander is a close second right now.

But they're so... ugly!

(IMO)

I disagree, but that's totally subjective, like say your preference for a lady like Phylis Diller over my preference for fly fishing beauty April Vokey, but each to their own! Everyone views beauty through a different eye, some people just have really bad astigmatism.

...just kidding Birchy!

<--poke--<

phyllis_diller.jpg vs. April_Vokey_main.jpg

I second that but to each there own.

I'm still looking for a lighter reel for my 7 1/2 3wt. The Hardy Angel is still sitting at the top of my list but I looking for a made in England at a good price. Islander is a close second right now.

I picked up a Scierra XDP for my 7 1/2 3wt. Nice size and weight for it. casts beautifully.

I disagree, but that's totally subjective, like say your preference for a lady like Phylis Diller over my preference for fly fishing beauty April Vokey, but each to their own! Everyone views beauty through a different eye, some people just have really bad astigmatism.

...just kidding Birchy!

<--poke--<

phyllis_diller.jpg vs. April_Vokey_main.jpg

Phylis is hot, full stop. Thanks for posting that.