Fly Fusion Forums

Fishing Vehicle?

Picked up a 2007 Tacoma last summer, similar to Andy's (4 door 6' box) gratuitous fake and pointless hood scoop LOL

Seriously though best truck I have ever had, can't say enough good things about it - smokes like a rocket on the FSR - 9' toon stuffs in with the gate down.

Also have a 93 YJ with 6 inches lift, 35" swampers - locked front and rear - more goodies than I can list - gets me to water in BC that very few others see.

I also drive a chev 2500HD company vehicle, has an 8.2 litre gas engine, you can hear the sound of hippies crying whenever you punch it LOL

If you got the cheddar buy a Taco !

Picked up a 2007 Tacoma last summer, similar to Andy's (4 door 6' box) gratuitous fake and pointless hood scoop LOL

Come on, your tellen me this scoop does not make my truck faster? I thought it got the air down to the flux capacator?

BigBowTrout,

I got the identical thing but the jetta version, 8 years old and going strong. Mine usually goes 820 before the light comes on.

Can I ask what you got for a roof rack and how you like it?

C

Hi, Thanks for your info everyone. Heading to Calgary to check out a couple of older 4Runners. My pontoon is 16 feet long so I won't be throwing it in the back of any truck.

• 2 months later...

Chiasson

Sorry I missed your post. I have the VW racks that you can get at the dealer.They clip around the pegs under the weather strips above your doors. I like them a lot and are very easy to use.

BigBowTrout,

I got the identical thing but the jetta version, 8 years old and going strong. Mine usually goes 820 before the light comes on.

Can I ask what you got for a roof rack and how you like it?

C

Hey Terry .. .awesome... you could drive right over those pesky Toyota Pious hybrids with that baby ... ooops, I meant Prius. ;) (Ref: South Park Episode 1002 - Smug Alert! ) :P

420FLYFISHIN nailed it. Dodge Caravan! New or used. Inexpensive. Good mileage. Oodles of room to spare. You can sleep in it. A 8-foot PT fits inside if you slack off the pressure and fold up the tips a few inches ... or can lash the PT to the roof racks. 9-ft rods fit inside assembled.

You just have to get over the "minivan family" syndrome and suck it up. ;)

BTW ... I have one. Geezer mobile.

post-229-1244389606.jpg

Here's my vote for 4x4ing:

My wife and I went on an extended vacation last year for 5 months; 4 in NZ and 1 in Australia. One of the many adventures we had was a 4x4 trip on Fraser Island where 10 people you don't know get together and rent a Land Cruiser and gear and drive/camp around an island with no roads. We would just drive down the beaches (speed limit 80 by the way) until high tide and then drive the 4x4 trails inland through rainforest.

It was a great trip until the last night when a huge storm rolled through. We headed out early the next morning to make it back on time to the ferry. It was low tide but what we didn't realize was that the storm had washed most of the beach away further down. It also made stream crossings tricky. I eased up to one stream and dropped the front tires down the bank and the water was close to the top of the wheels. I crawled forward and dropped the back in as well. So far so good. I waited for a wave from the beach to go back downstream and then I punched it. I realized I was in a bit of trouble midway across when the top of the hood disappeared under the water!!!! (luckily we had a snorkel). The next wave was also bearing down on us and was going to hit us at the top of the cabin. With all of our gear up top, we probably would have flipped over in the river if the tide had hit us. However, I pinned it when the hood disappeared and we made it out the other side unscathed, but a little shaky.

The beach was another matter. The swells were so large that there were times when there was nowhere to go but straight through. There would be a berm of sand on one side and waves coming right up to the berm. The only thing to do was drive through the water. There were times that the water rushing out was pulling the back end sideways. Basically, for about 8 kms, it was a game of cat and mouse with the ocean. I would stay as high as I could on the beach dodging pieces of driftwood the size of a VW that the storm had deposited the night before. Then, when a wave would open up some beach, I would dart out and start shifting gears and make up as much real estate as I could until the next one came back up and forced me up into the driftwood minefield again. The sand was saturated with all of the rain and was just like mud. If I had stopped, we would have gotten stuck and if we had gotten stuck, I think we would have been really screwed.

What we went through with that Land Cruiser was ridiculous. When you shift them down to 4 low, they are like a Sherman Tank.

Land Cruiser with a snorkel would be my pick (if I could afford one) hands down.

Cheers.

Have you thought about a Jeep Cherokee Sport? You can usually pick up a 1998ish model with some beefed up suspension, snorkel, roof rack, etc. off the trader website for around 4-6 grand. They're ok all around, easy to customize, and there are plenty of spare parts floating around. But for your needs, I vote for a nice quad cab Toyota Tacoma or 4Runner.

I'm also sporting a "geezer mobile" minivan. One thing I do know. I bet I can fit a "toon" into the topper I got (it's a thule topper I think it's about 9ft long.. i could put both pontoons up there slightly deflated, and then components behind the back seat).

Now.... if only I had the money to buy a pontoon boat and test this theory. :)