Fly Fusion Forums

Bow River Baitfish

I'm new to the Bow and I'm wondering what the dominant types of baitfish are downstream of the Weir. Actually, if they differ on the upper Bow, that would be useful to know too. I'm guessing the success of patterns like the Bow River Bugger have a lot to do with this. Anyhow, I am trying to decide what to stock my box with in terms of streamers.

Also, do some types of streamer patterns work better at different types of the year? I have heard that streamers are the most effective pattern during the turbid run-off period.

What about techniques? I have heard that really working the banks hard with huge streamers, splashing them hard and making lots of noise can be effective at times with browns?

Thanks for the info.

• 2 weeks later...

I have heard that streamers are the most effective pattern during the turbid run-off period.

Wow, that's a pretty bold statement that would be challenged by many on this site - I personally would not say that!!

I, as well as many others on here have experienced much success with Clousers (all black, all white, black/white, chartreuse/white, blue/white, olive/white, etc. - they all work!!) Double bunnies as well and the Bow River Buggers you mentioned, of course. I've had success throughout the year. As previously mentioned in a recent post, it is the technique which is more important during specific times of the year (the colder months as the fish are more reluctant to chase down prey in the winter so you pretty much have to put it in front of them - but there are exceptions, of course)

Just my $0.02.

P

I'm new to the Bow and I'm wondering what the dominant types of baitfish are downstream of the Weir. Actually, if they differ on the upper Bow, that would be useful to know too. I'm guessing the success of patterns like the Bow River Bugger have a lot to do with this. Anyhow, I am trying to decide what to stock my box with in terms of streamers.

Also, do some types of streamer patterns work better at different types of the year?

What about techniques? I have heard that really working the banks hard with huge streamers, splashing them hard and making lots of noise can be effective at times with browns?

Thanks for the info.

I've had good success swinging streamers during runoff, but high sticking nymphs along the banks can be effective too. Since a lot of the fish are going to stay out of the heavy current they'll be along the banks, so let your streamer swing all the way in. My experience has been that with the low water clarity during runoff big streamers that move a lot are most effective. I think (and I'm not a biologist nor do I play one on tv) that the fish are sensing the movement far more than seeing the streamer in that situation. Sculpins, Clousers, buggers, and all the standards are good and the size and movement of the fly are more important than colour during runoff in my opinion.

Hey, why are we talking about baitfish in the entomology section??? :P