Fly Fusion Forums

Snowshoe Rabbit Feet Hair

Leroy

I am new to this board so this may have already been covered, but I have a question. Do many of you use feet hair for dry flies?

There has been several articles lately about using it, but I just never have. i have checked with several friends who tell me it floats as well if not better than CDC and it can be dressed. I have read the Usual is a take off of the old Haystack and both of those patterns were the forerunner of the Comparadun patterns we use now.

Anyway I sure do plan to give this material a good test when the season opens.

I sure would be interested to know some of your experiences with hares feet.

Thanks

Leroy

Been using it for almost any of my dries that have a wing of some sort. Stuff floats great. The underfur makes for some good dubbing as well.

PS the usual sucks....don't ever use it. :whistle:

I used it last year on a small stream in B.C. and did very well .The usual that is , the only problem that I have tying with the under fur is that it is very fine and it is difficulte to adhere to the thread other then that a very good go too fly richmia ;mornCoffee:

Hello Leroy, Welcome to the board.

I've been watching your show for many years and just wanted to say Thanks. I learned lots of little tricks and techniques from you when I first started tying. I've been wanting to get some Snowshoe hares feet myself, but the shops in my city just dont carry any. Guess I'll have to get some off the internet. I was asking the wife if her or the kids had any lucky rabbit feet and she promptly picked up our Bichon Frise and walked out of my tying room, not sure what that was all about lol.

From everything I've read i think you will find that the guards hairs from the bottom of the foot makes excellent winging material for all kinds of dry flies.

I used it last year on a small stream in B.C. and did very well .The usual that is , the only problem that I have tying with the under fur is that it is very fine and it is difficulte to adhere to the thread other then that a very good go too fly richmia ;mornCoffee:

Ya, definately should be a fly in everyone's box IMO.

The key is to get all the guard hares out, to get to the good dubbing. I find that you have only a little amount to play with right close to the bones that is good for dubbing (wrecked a few pairs of scissors in the process). I usually just take one foot and cut away the guard hairs and get the dubbing from it and keep the other for the wings/tails.

I made the mistake of using the top of the foot and trying to dub the guard hairs when I 1st used it, but finally found out what works best.

I use it often. I find it floats like a cork and shakes water better than most materials. I don't often bother dressing it, it floats so well. Very durable, to boot. It is one of my favorite additions to my bench in the past couple of years.

I use the under-fur hairs from the bottom of the foot for dubbing, as well. Great translucency and buggyness. I find a bit of wax makes the process a bit easier.

The structure of the guard hairs from the bottom of the foot is what makes it float so well. Traps air like nobody's business.

In fact, I really only use the bottom of the foot, an occasionally the sides when I want a bit of a darker shade.

By the way, here's a tip to get to the best fur on the foot simply "crack" open the foot. Do this by placing a flat blade screwdriver between the "toes" of the foot and prying them apart splitting the foot open. You will now have easy access to the longest and best fur.

Guest rickleblanc

Okay, now there's a useful tip! Thanks silverdoctor. I'd better make sure my girlfriend isn't home first. She hates seeing the poor bunny feet as is. If she saw me split one with a screwdriver she might hyperventilate.

Incidentally, the Fishin' Hole stocks hares feet. Just make sure it's not from Superfly.

Rick

Guest rickleblanc

In spite of what they might tell you, the label is correct. Superfly sells RABBIT feet, not hare. Anyone who's used both will tell you what a huge difference there is between the two. I get mine from Hook&Hackle. Interestingly, H&H also labels their's Snowshoe Rabbit, which of course doesn't exist, but it's actually hares feet. It took a little work, but as soon as the first order showed up I knew I'd found the right stuff. I used to do a bit of trapping up near Yellowknife, so it's pretty easy to tell a hare's foot from a rabbit's.

Rick

In spite of what they might tell you, the label is correct. Superfly sells RABBIT feet, not hare. Anyone who's used both will tell you what a huge difference there is between the two. I get mine from Hook&Hackle. Interestingly, H&H also labels their's Snowshoe Rabbit, which of course doesn't exist, but it's actually hares feet. It took a little work, but as soon as the first order showed up I knew I'd found the right stuff. I used to do a bit of trapping up near Yellowknife, so it's pretty easy to tell a hare's foot from a rabbit's.

Rick

The ones I buy are from Hairline. They label them as Snowshoe Rabbit also but they are nice footsies with big toes. Float nice.

Guest rickleblanc

Yeah, I just went and looked, H&H gets their's from Hareline. Snowshoe is important enough to me that I want to find a back-up supplier, just in case.

Rick