Fly Fusion Forums

Guitar Lessons

Anyone know of any good guitar teachers in the city that teach relatively close to the red mile?

i just started too man. guess what....you tube has free lessons. no lie, check it out. i learned chords, tuning and mary had a little lamb in my first 10 mins!! nah....seriously try that before you fork over yer money.

Nothing can replace a *good* teacher, but they are hard to find. Even an average teacher with the structure of the following books might be your best bet.

I've checked out a ton of books from the library and compared to them all, I highly recommend Blues You Can Use. You will have to order it off the internet as the library doesn't have it.

After working through it, you will have command of the whole fret board. I'm only half way through but I'm getting noticeably better with each chapter. He introduces just one small skill with each chapter/song. Its an amazing book.

If you're into heavy metal, Troy Stentina's Metal Lead Guitar comes highly recommended.

The blues book has more "read this and play this song", so its more fun to work through. The Metal book is more "practice this exercise to build your speed skills" method. They are supposed to complement each other.

I've search the internet high and low and picked up tid bits here and there but I didn't progress until I picked up these two books. They are well worth the cost of admission.

ps. Once you're "good", you'll be able to play any style of music better.

Blues Reviews

Guest JayVee
Nothing can replace a *good* teacher, but they are hard to find. Even an average teacher with the structure of the following books might be your best bet.

I've checked out a ton of books from the library and compared to them all, I highly recommend Blues You Can Use. You will have to order it off the internet as the library doesn't have it.

After working through it, you will have command of the whole fret board. I'm only half way through but I'm getting noticeably better with each chapter. He introduces just one small skill with each chapter/song. Its an amazing book.

If you're into heavy metal, Troy Stentina's Metal Lead Guitar comes highly recommended.

The blues book has more "read this and play this song", so its more fun to work through. The Metal book is more "practice this exercise to build your speed skills" method. They are supposed to complement each other.

I've search the internet high and low and picked up tid bits here and there but I didn't progress until I picked up these two books. They are well worth the cost of admission.

ps. Once you're "good", you'll be able to play any style of music better.

Blues Reviews

I've been playing for 7 years now (self taught mostly) and "Blues You Can Use" is in my top 3 favorite books. It isn't a beginner book though, in my opinion, but with regular practice you'll be able to tackle the material in no time. I also like Troy Stetina's books, particularly "Total Rock Guitar." I highly recommend a straight up exercise and techniques book like "Speed Mechanics" by Stetina or "Terrifying Technique" by Carl Tulper. As for tab books, I love the Hal Leonard Play-Along series. I can't pass up the chance to recommend my favorite and most used software application, "Transcribe." With this gem, you can load a song, select a difficult part and slow it down to as low as 25% tempo without changing the pitch. I'd be simply lost without it, I'm so used to practising with it. It is indeed very hard to find a good teacher. I've tried 4 of them and only one was good, Al Barrett. He plays around town all the time so check him out if you get a chance. The other 3 were great guitar players but couldn't teach worth a damn. And let me just say what a great hobby this has been for me. I'm as passionate about it as fly fishing and I hope you stick with it.

Neil

JayVee, do you use any recording software? I've played around with Audacity. Pretty cool. Opensource. I like free. You can save your recordings as MP3 and upload them to something like stashbox and email the link to your friends. Kinda fun.

What I would like to find is some kind of drummer emulation software.

Thanks for the comments guys. I've actually been playing for a number of years now but haven't really seen much improvement in the last little while, so just kinda looking for a teacher to take me to the next level, so to speak.

Hydropsyche,

I just purchased a USB interface for my computer and it came with Cubase LE 4. So far Cubase seems to be a pretty sweet program and alot easier to use out of the box than other programs I've used in the past like cakewalk. I've also got a keyboard that acts as a midi controller as well so that's what I've been using for my drums. In the program you can also manually plot out the midi instruments and create loops. Lotsa fun for sure!

Cheers

What I would like to find is some kind of drummer emulation software.

I got one of those Line 6 POD's, it has drum tracks, never really messed around with them though. What I did listen to was pretty straight forward, not really like my more favored odd time signatures. The compression modellers on it aren't bad, but most of the amp modelers sound thin at best. Not ideal for strictly acoustic so much though. I recall hearing of a program dedicated to that purpose, but can't recall the name of it.