Fly Fusion Forums

Taking Fish For Store Aquarium

Guest Sundancefisher
It's also illegal to buy, sell, or trade them without a license, so if they did it this would also be an offence if they were paid to do it and didn't have the commercial license to do so.

Before anyone gets all worked up...Bass Pro did file for the appropriate fish collection licences. They have restrictions as to where and how and when to fish. They have the large aquariums to fill with a variety of species. All the paper work seems to be in order. I have donated the perch in there right now so no perch will come from the wild and most trout will come from hatcheries.

Therefore...don't worry.

Cheers

Sun

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

hehe, that could have spun off ito a real *hit storm...winds of *hit got stopped by the *hit wall (as Lahey woud say)

Guest Sundancefisher
hehe, that could have spun off ito a real *hit storm...winds of *hit got stopped by the *hit wall (as Lahey woud say)

LMFAO...

I only responded when I saw the crowd go by carrying pitchforks and torches and marching on Balzac...

Sun,

"most fish"?! Shouldn't all the trout come from a hatchery?!

Please clarify.

P

quote name='Sundancefisher' date='Mar 6 2009, 01:10 PM' post='77979']

Before anyone gets all worked up...Bass Pro did file for the appropriate fish collection licences. They have restrictions as to where and how and when to fish. They have the large aquariums to fill with a variety of species. All the paper work seems to be in order. I have donated the perch in there right now so no perch will come from the wild and most trout will come from hatcheries.

Therefore...don't worry.

Cheers

Sun

Guest Sundancefisher
Sun,

"most fish"?! Shouldn't all the trout come from a hatchery?!

Please clarify.

P

quote name='Sundancefisher' date='Mar 6 2009, 01:10 PM' post='77979']

Therefore...don't worry.

Cheers

Sun

Lake trout are not currently hatchery raised. Therefore some would need to come from a natural population. I suggested Spray as there seems to be a fair number. There may be different lakes on their list but logistically Cold Lake etc... would be too far away.

Hatchery raised trout would include rainbows, cutts, browns, bulls, brookies. The rainbows and brookies can be found in private hatcheries and in the future cutts and browns and bulls at a public facility. Goldens are not on their list to collect.

Understanding they are not stocking a lake but rather a very large fish tank...they are not taking a significant number of fish here.

I think people also need to understand the benefit to having a place where kids and adults can go and see various local sport fishing species. This impromtu education can help to aid species identification and respect and even conservation. Awareness can bring new kids into the sport and preserve our limited lobbying ability.

Plus...it gives me a place to dump perch...

i cant wait to fish that tank when its finished.

It is pretty wild to see. They have an aquarium at most of their stores. I always wonder how the smaller guys stay hidden from the large pike. They had a few gar in the on in Toronto last time I was there.

Guest Sundancefisher
Sun, do you have a list of what species they plan on stocking?

I've been to the Toronto store and it's a really awesome aquarium they have. Some monster musky, bass, bows and browns living in there.

I believe...

Only sort of "native" species or common sport fish in Alberta

Rainbow Trout, Brook Trout, Cutthroat trout, lake trout, brown trout, pike, walleye, sauger, goldeye, grayling lake whitefish, mountain whitefish, burbot, perch

Also sailfish, marlin, giant blue fin tuna and mako sharks.

Bull trout from a hatchery some day

Sturgeon if they prove the fish have some longevity (no fish kills)

Mooneye incidental with goldeye

no golden trout