Fly Fusion Forums

Towing Weight For Mazda B-4000

I am considering buying a small travel trailer for this summer and I was wondering what amount of towing weight my little Mazda B-4000 6 cylinder can handle. How do I find out? I apologize if this is a stupid question!

My 3.4L V6 4Runner was rated to tow 5000lbs.

My travel trailer weighs ~3000lbs when loaded and in the wind and on the hills it struggled big time. Had to rev the p!ss out of it to keep it up to the speed limit on the highway. Around town wasn't bad at all though.

These tow ratings are funny.. if 3000 pounds was that sketchy, the full 5000 must be real fun!

I am planning on towing it to Racehorse Creek Campground and leaving it there for the summer. I guess I could ask someone else with a bigger truck to tow it back and forth in June and then in October.. A tent trailer was my first thought but I would have to take it down every time I leave to protect the canvas from UV light etc. I am looking at a 14 footer or a Boler as it would just be for me.

I could see me chugging up those hills and the wind down there can get pretty fierce and I have no towing experience.

This is still a thought and I appreciate everybody's input. Keep 'em coming!

Thanks

Well, you could purchase a tent trailer and then just cover it with a rain tarp so the sun won't dmg it. Or........ you could purchase a Aliner trailer, all the convenience of a tent trailer but the protection of a hard shell trailer. See pic:

columbia-northwest-aliner-folding-camping-trailer-2008.jpg

They weight like 1500lbs and are about 15' long.

If you went this route, you could at least tow it different locations if you want

I have the 08 b4000 and it does struggle a bit but if you are getting a small boler you will be fine. I have an 18 foot travel trailer that I tow with mine with flipped axles and as long as it isnt stupid windy I can tow fine in 4th gear on my standard tranny. I have towed my trailer all over the province and never had enough trouble that I have had to pull over or anything.

Well, you could purchase a tent trailer and then just cover it with a rain tarp so the sun won't dmg it. Or........ you could purchase a Aliner trailer, all the convenience of a tent trailer but the protection of a hard shell trailer. See pic:

columbia-northwest-aliner-folding-camping-trailer-2008.jpg

They weight like 1500lbs and are about 15' long.

If you went this route, you could at least tow it different locations if you want

That is sweet but I'm sure they are difficult to find used. BTW my Mazda is a '96

I had a 2000 B4000 rated to tow the same weight. I don't care what the specs say, it's a crock unless you're towing on flat pavement. We hooked our old 19 foot lite trailer up and towed it around the block for giggles. That's as far as it got. Tent trailer or small boler is it man - for both the engine and the suspension. You'd need a tranny cooler too. Tent trailer is the way you want to go as much as it sucks.

Have you considered Renting a tent trailer for a weekend ? That would tell you if you should Buy or Not ! I worked in the RV industry and those Salesmen will sell you anything and say you will have No Problem ! Trust Me Rent First ! Have a Nice Day !