Fly Fusion Forums

Bc Road Trip

I have a family trip to Penticton planned in the third week of July.

I'll be doing a solo drive out there (everyone else is flying <_< ). I plan to take a couple days and hit some fishing on the way (maybe the way back, too ;) ).

Any tips on spots I should hit between here and there? Also, is there any decent fishing around Penticton/Kelona?

Get hold of Trout Waters Fly & Tackle in Kelowna. Talk to my buddies Nick or Savas. They will steer you in the right direction.

Trout Waters Fly & Tackle

2280 Leckie Road, Unit C

Call them at their toll free number 1 (888) 823 6633

You can check out their website at http://troutwaters.ca/index.htm

The only problem with going in July is that it's the hottest time of year. Sort of the dog days of summer for fishing. Not to say that fish can't be caught all year round. You may have to do some traveling into the mountains around there to get to some of the cooler higher elevation lakes.

Since your planning on driving out I'd suggest a couple of different routes. I'd say to go either to Revelstoke and head south on Hwy 23. Go to Nakusp and fish at Summit lake. Then take the road down south to Fauquier and take the ferry across Arrow Lake and head west on Hwy 6 through the Monashee route through the mountains through to Vernon. Along that route is a lot of lakes and creeks to explore. Some of the lakes have resorts like Echo Lake.

Or you can take the southern route through Fernie, Cranbrook and Creston on Highway 3. There are lots of places to explore through the Kootenays. You may not actually make it to Penticton though.

Here is some contact information if you head that route.

Kootenay Fly Shop

1-877-423-4483

821-7th Ave, Fernie BC

http://www.kootenayflyshop.ca/index.html

Hope this helps.

Rob

You could try Bolean lake on the Vernon-Kamloops highway. We went there 15 years in a row. The lake is at the top of Spa Mountain, it tends to be cooler in the evening than the valley and has nice pan size fish. Cheap to stay too. Also 2 other lakes on the mountain top Spa and Arthur. Bigger fish to 6 lbs. All lakes great for fly fishing/belly boats/pontoons. The road can be a bit of a rough go sometimes.

Check it out.

www.boleanlake.com

FHD

There are dozens of spots that will fish well in July within an hour (or less) of Penticton. Skaha itself will be fishing fast for Smallmouth Bass on the fly.

before getting too in-depth on lakes etc. What will you have to fish out of? what are you driving? and how far would you be willing to go for a day-trip?

Thanks for all the ideas.

Shaggy- I'll be in a small SUV w/ good 4X, factory tires, full sized spare and low clearance (~9"). I'd be comfortable with a bit of fourbying but nothing too heavy. I may have room for an inflatable or a tube, if needed. I don't have any issues with a good walk or hike.

Most of the serious fishing will be on route too and from Narramatta (my wife just corrected me on our destination). I may get a day trip in from Narramatta during the week.

There are a couple of lakes in behind (East) Naramata, but nothing really notable unless you go quite a ways up toward Kelowna on the back roads. I don't usually head up that way in favour of other areas.

If you want, feel free to give me a pm or e-mail (shaggyflies@telus.net) and a few days notice and I'm always game for an excuse to wet a line and would be willing to show you some of the more productive waters. I should have a good idea of what lakes are fishing well by then.