Fly Fusion Forums

Korean Made Hardy.

Yes I know the great debate that happened when Hardy moved their reel manufacturing form England to Korea. More than likely based on economics. I own a number of classic made in England Hardy’s that I highly prize.

Their new offerings made away from their England plant are now available. Time will tell if they are as highly prized. I noticed a great deal on the Harris web site for the Cascapedia ,and with a low British pound and 40% off I decided to bite. They’ve titled it the Cascapedia II and it comes in several different sizes. I ordered the 2/3/4. These reels are click-pawl, unlike the disk drags a classic style of reel. It does have a beautiful design (in my mind) with a mix of classic and modern venting.

After a few email inquiries about the reel I ordered it and it arrived from England very quickly. Very well packaged. I am happy with the service from Harris Sport. After unpacking and popping it out of the neoprene pouch it turned out to be one of the smoothest running click-pawl reel I have handled. I was a bit nervous about line capacity as it looked a bit small. It made up for it in width. It took a Rio WF 6dry line and some backing with no problem. It boasts a great hardy sound. I disassembled the reel and was pleased with the construction. It can be changed over from right-hand-wind to right-hand-wind fairly easily. The drag is set in increments that are very precise.

Mounted it on a number of rods, it is a heavy reel that suites a 8 or 9 foot rod and really balances out nice on some of my bamboo’s. The reel promises to be a very good for fishing. I have talked with other Hardy fans that have purchased this reel and the common line is that is performs performed flawlessly, in the Hardy tradition. Do I think it is the same classic Hardy as was made in Antwick? No it can’t obviously be. Is it in the same quality as the traditional, yes I would say so. I'm I happy with my purchase, yes very, it’s a treasure, and one I’m not afraid to fish. I can keep my other Hardy's as collectibles. It is after all still a Hardy.

92016532f8d889d40ea38e5dfaa652a02926bf7e

af42688304f66d4c845d350ef40aa12078b32c40

fc2266b3b7f04ded801de40398776c52cff62b4e

One thing I would like to bring up here. I have talked to an awful lot of people on various forums plus a couple of dear friends who"s opinion I value. All who have bought bought the Korean made Hardy's have loved them for their quality and performance. This should not be confused with buying a collectors item. These are fine fishing tools. The point isn't to buy something that for an investment (buy gold, or an vintage reel) but rather something to fish. My budget would not take an original Cascapedia. It is 6 times the price. But I have one now, for fishing not collecting.