Fly Fusion Forums

Bull Trout Scum

Guest bigbadbrent

Guest bigbadbrent

I'm not a big fan of flyfishing for bull trout, the piscine equivalent of a garbge scow. Still, i know a few anglers who fervently stalk them

(so, what alberta fishing book is that from?)

Guest bigbadbrent
Due North of Montana

ding ding ding..

was reading it the other day while enjoying an MGD, i was a little shaken by that statement...

bait fishing for suckers is way better then chucking streamers for bulls. Nothing like a pickrel rig worms and bait rod. Sitting there on shore drinking beer and eating hotdogs. Trying not to get mustard on your shirt..........

Yeah, I remember that one, too. Who could read it and ever forget?!

I guess you could come up with hollow complaints about all trout if you really really tried: Brooks -- too beautiful. Rainbows -- too acrobatic. Browns -- too difficult. Lakers -- too deep. Goldens -- too remote. Cutthroats -- too easy. Bulls -- too hungry. Each trout is unique and has special qualities. I think Dawson was relatively new at the fly fishing game when he wrote that book. I wonder if his thoughts on bulls have changed over the past decade?

It's always stood out in my mind as well. I enjoyed his books but I never really agreed with his postion on bulls.

Now what do I win? :D

But not hardly surprising...simply a continuance of an Western European attitude toward native species prevalent for the past century or more... mother nature needs improving. I'll see plenty of evidence of that today, headin' up to the top end of Cataract

Gotta go walk with the grizzlies....I'm gone................................

I've got a quote for ya... It's great.

“… if there is a question of ‘Fish vrs Irrigation’ the fish must go because the settlers here cannot possibly do without irrigation.”

In reference to Alberta (NWT) fisheries... 1897 memo from Inspector Steele of the MacLeod District to the Inspector of Fisheries for the Northwest Territories. Page 33 of the report below.

There is an Excellent chapter written by Kerry Brewin, on Fishery resources in the Castle/Carbondale System in this Report.

http://www.cpawscalgary.org/campaigns_cast...urce-report.pdf

The history of fisheries management is absolutely amazing stuff.