Fly Fusion Forums

Cleaning Gear After Salt Water

Quick question for everyone, how should I be cleaning my tackle after fishing in saltwater? I've heard some say to just rinse stuff off with freshwater and it should be good. Would it be good to soak a reel and line in fresh water over night, or would this be excessive and potentially cause other problems. Also, just rinse the rods? Thanks

Relube your reel before you go with a high grade water resistant oil/grease, the type used for outboards that run in the salt. Generally available from Cdn.Tire

While away in the salt, rinse out the reel every day and take the spool with you when you shower. When you get back home, strip the line and as much of the backing as got salted +50 feet and soak in a bucket for a few hours, plus the reel. Relube and you are good to go.

Note: even some SW rated reel may have parts (mostly small screws) that are not SW rated and corrosion will ruin them.

I'd advise against soaking the reel - the corrosion resistance of the stainless steel and aluminum components rely on oxygen being available from air so that they can form an oxide layer which is a barrier against the chloride in seawater. Rinse everything thoroughly in clean water, and then make sure to dry it.

When I was in BC I cleaned my reel by putting the whole thing in one of my boots and running the hose into it for a while. I am pretty sure that was sufficent and got all the salt off my boots as well. Not sure that the best plan but the reel is fine and there is no salt damage on my boots

Rinse it at the end of each day of your trip strip out some line -bath tub is great if you have one. give it a good cleaning when you get home and lubricate it keep in mind all lubricants are not equal so follow your manufactures advice or you may void your warranty or bugger your reel. Clean your rod when your get home too as sand and salt have a nasty habit of magically reappearing. Have fun on your trip!