Fly Fusion Forums

Armoured Bobbin

FlashGordon

So I bought a bunch of tying gear and supplies of an older gentleman and I'm trying to figure out what everything is,I have a bankers box full of material of which nothing is labeled....fun stuff!!

But I have this bobbin type thing and I'm wondering if it's just a bobbin or is it special purpose,it has some kind of tensioner as you can see by the thumb screw.I searched online and couldn't compare it to anything.Anyone know?

post-2481-1232652900.jpg

post-2481-1232652906.jpg

post-2481-1232652917.jpg

hey thanks for that,I'm more curious than anything

the guy I bought this stuff off was a rod builder too,along with all the books and videos there is some books on rod building as well so maybe it has something to do with that.

I really enjoy gettin this old stuff,it's neat to go through...although i have replaced the simple whip finisher with a rotating matarelli,i couldn't for the life of me figure the 'simple' one out and i can use the matarelli on my first try without even looking up directions...also got 4 or 5 bobbins but i am gonna start up-grading to ceramic and use the old ones for wire...

like i said,I really enjoy goin through all this old stuff...we'll see how the tying part goes,once i figure out what all these feathers,hairs and hackles are,there's one bag labeled and that's badger

• 1 month later...

thanks guys...

so how long ago since they made a bobbin like this?

i like the history behind stuff like this,the old technology is as interesting as the new stuff sometimes...not saying i'd go back in time as far as wetting lines but it has it value in many ways all the same

i also have a 9' bamboo that my uncle hand made for me about 25+ years ago that was paired with a old as dirt Hardy Marquis #7....sadly they both need some work as a life of being strapped to the back of a dirtbike didn't do them any good....

i can remember some of those days plain as yesterday,prbly had a few flies of a cpl patterns,like a royal coachman and a dark montreal (comes to mind).... i had no clue what i was doin but i know fish were involved,so i guess not much has changed,lol

I was wrong in my first post. I found the old bobbin, still in the origional box with instructions, and it is a D.H. Thompson Apex Fly - Tyer's Bobbin.

The price is even still on the box $4.50. I looked for a date on the instructions, but there is no date listed.

Hope this helps.

I was wrong in my first post. I found the old bobbin, still in the origional box with instructions, and it is a D.H. Thompson Apex Fly - Tyer's Bobbin.

The price is even still on the box $4.50. I looked for a date on the instructions, but there is no date listed.

Hope this helps.