Fly Fusion Forums

Biot Tails

headscan

I was tying some copper johns yesterday and came to the conclusion that I hate biot tails. I tie the far one in first then the one on the front side of the hook. When I go to tie in the second one, the first one shifts. Then when both are tied in and I go to wrap the thread back up the shank they both shift. It ends up taking me twice as long to tie in the tail as it takes to do the rest of the fly. Any tricks for tying the biots in with less hassle? I've tried tying both biots in at once and almost threw my vice across the room, so that isn't going to work for me.

I tie them both in at the same time. Pinch them to the desired length, then hold them so each side is on opposite sides of the hook. I usually figure for the length I want when finished, and leave lots to work with to tie in. Clip the excess, done. I use them for legs and tails, 4 per fly in this way. I splay the legs out, perhaps this helps ride the current better, I don't know. Seems to work good though. As I'm sure you noticed they have a natural curve to them, so I put the curves facing out away from each other.

I tie them one at a time. Instead of mounting them on either side as some do, I like the effect better if you lay biot flat across the top of the hook at a 20' angle. Pin it in place tightly with your finger and wrap forward starting at the junction of the biot. Note only do you get the exact spread you want but it's very easy to do. Works for me....

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

i do mine one at a time. I set the first one in then wrap dwn the exes and then go fr the second. I find that if the first is done right and the second is like half a mm behind the first they usually come out perfect.

Gil, when you tie them with that tail do they sort of look like they are mid wiggle? or almost starting a "J" shape.

i do mine one at a time. I set the first one in then wrap dwn the exes and then go fr the second. I find that if the first is done right and the second is like half a mm behind the first they usually come out perfect.

Gil, when you tie them with that tail do they sort of look like they are mid wiggle? or almost starting a "J" shape.

Not quite sure what you mean but I can get them in the exact position I like (perfect V) fast and easy...

Here is what they look like....

post-1741-1230001661.jpg

I tie them one at a time. Instead of mounting them on either side as some do, I like the effect better if you lay biot flat across the top of the hook at a 20' angle. Pin it in place tightly with your finger and wrap forward starting at the junction of the biot. Note only do you get the exact spread you want but it's very easy to do. Works for me....

That's how I mount the wings on a prince nymph, but I don't know if I like that look as much for the tail of a copper john or if the wire would squish them. I'll give it a shot and see how it looks.

That's how I mount the wings on a prince nymph, but I don't know if I like that look as much for the tail of a copper john or if the wire would squish them. I'll give it a shot and see how it looks.
You do need to watch the wire, but I tie my coppers Johns this way without a problems. The thing I don't like with the side mount is the difficulting getting a good spread. You can do a dubbing ball but again I don't like the look and its a pain.

i tie them in like gil also.. works grea for me..... however i havnt tied anything with a biots the past few years except biot body dries n emergers.. i find teh tails are not tough enough and wear quickly so i jstu use rubberlegs instead... much tougher