Fly Fusion Forums

Bow In May

speyghillie

Hi Guys,

Got a couple of buddies heading to Calgary in May, and looking for some advice on fishing the Bow or other rivers at that time of year.

They have done loads of Trout fishing over the years, and are looking at maybe a day on the Bow and a day on some other river, they will be in Calgary for 2 or 3 days.

Any info for that time of year ?

Cheers Gordo.

Be prepared for anything given the weather could be warm and sunny or a blizzard - if the weather nice there could be some mayfly or caddis hatches, but if the weather is crap or runoff is early, they need to be prepared to use nymphs, leeches, BAW's or streamers. They could also do the Crow or lower Oldman if they're in ok shape. Probably best to wait until the week before they leave to make any concrete plans.

Thanks Guys,

I know the weather can be funny... well not even, they have to be there for Oil meeting kinda thing, i just thought i would ask the guys that live in Coo Toon, i forgot about the run off so thats a good point.

Will speak to them after the New Year parties.. here thats about the 6th of January, thanks guys and have a great Xmas and New year.. go easy on the booze..... as we can run abit short here at New year. :drinked:

Gordo

if u come in late may it will almost definetly be runoff and rainy but fishing tight too teh banks(leave the double handed in teh truck) will produce if u get hear in early too mid may ish before the warm hits and everything melts u will have sweeeeeeeeeeet condtitions too fish a variety of fleis and techniques..... most of the bows will be spawning btu there are still tons in the system and the browns are starting too feed really hard.. before she gets too murkey you can get some chances too fish small olives up top! but nymphs and streamers will be my go too that month! let me know when u got some firm dates dude and we shall do alittle feeshin forsure! got a few other places we can fish too if yall wantsome mountians scenery!