Fly Fusion Forums

Casting Heavy Flies

alhuger

So I bought some large tungsten heads for tying with this week and just got down to tying some stuff up with them today. I was shocked by how heavy these things are, I am dreading casting them. If these things hit my rod tip it's done like dinner. Any tips for casting heavy nasty stuff? I am using a skagit rig so I do not think getting the fly out will present too much of a challenge I am more concerned about getting it out without injuring my rod.

al

LOL...Sage advice Gill...but hopefully he does not attempt any two hand overhead casts too start with.

Al, you might want to pay close attention to your anchor positions and stick to Double Speys with Perry Pokes to line things up nice and straight too the target and keep it on the safe side...at least untill you get warmed up and get a handle on the way your rig casts with big weight... Watch out for low flying hardware on the Circle cast...It's been known to shear off a few rod tips. Have fun and duck if you have too!

Hi Al;

Actually these flies are not too hard to work with if you follow some very simple and safe tips. Gil is correct in developing your loops a bit more to the side..and always know where you fly is...in other words don't close your eyes! Since you are using a Skagit of some kind getting it to lift should pose no issue...depending on the size of the fly of course...Here on the Island it is the fly of choice for much of the winter so we cast hundreds of these patterns ...not sure what tip you are using..but ...you might lengthen your leader a bit and slow down your cast enough to be able to manipulate your rod tip just after your forward stroke has ended...avoiding any possible collision!

One of the Good rules is to "watch your fly" ..know where it is and see it in relationship to your cast...with Skagit casting you are able to know where your fly is most of the time...even the 1/2 out rule... knowing where your fly is just prior to the forward stroke will enable you to know where it is going.

This will differ for a floating line of course...

C

So I bought some large tungsten heads for tying with this week and just got down to tying some stuff up with them today. I was shocked by how heavy these things are, I am dreading casting them. If these things hit my rod tip it's done like dinner. Any tips for casting heavy nasty stuff? I am using a skagit rig so I do not think getting the fly out will present too much of a challenge I am more concerned about getting it out without injuring my rod.

al

hey dude from waht i have experienced casting some of my cats and dogs with my spey and skagit it keep it moving... even with a skagit u cant let them mega flies get down or else she wont really take off too well.. i had soem issues at teh show last year trying too chuck or even really turn over some larger 8"+ double double bunnies once waterlogged but with some practice and messing around i found i had too sort of skagit scandi cast em... i dont get the saem type of distance but im not really suprised and for what i use them for i only need 50+ feet max. but it all depends on teh rod. im using a 12'6" 8wt wiht a 600 grain 22' skagit i chopped down and usually only fishing 8-10' tips and a few feet of tippet.... i found once i got too long it was hard too get my loops turning over and opening up but that might jstu be me.... still havnt gotten it down but its definetly more than possible.. as for double overhanding teh stuff u can do it no problem.. i messed around iwth my 8126 and my loop yellow 9140...had a blast last spring at "sone lake" tossin 100 ish foot bombs with double and triple streamer rigs jsut too see what i could do and like gil said watch out.. almost put myself into next week a few times loaded em up with some big skittle sized splitshots too and was easily tossing what seemd like 10 lbs of lead.. jsut really crank on your back cast stab really high(its going too drop on yah regardless so u gotta do your best) waite for teh load and hit it hard going forward and duck if u think ur in trouble.... or jstu curl up into the fetal position ;) hope that helps meng! u can see in this pic...... dotn hold your tip high like iu mentioned i totally destroyed one tip on ym yellow stipping at 11 oclock is.. more like halfway between 9 and 10 works way better. havnt had any issues since...

marchlowerkandbarrier071.jpg

marchlowerkandbarrier072-1.jpg

hey dude from waht i have experienced casting some of my cats and dogs with my spey and skagit it keep it moving... even with a skagit u cant let them mega flies get down or else she wont really take off too well.. i had soem issues at teh show last year trying too chuck or even really turn over some larger 8"+ double double bunnies once waterlogged but with some practice and messing around i found i had too sort of skagit scandi cast em... i dont get the saem type of distance but im not really suprised and for what i use them for i only need 50+ feet max. but it all depends on teh rod. im using a 12'6" 8wt wiht a 600 grain 22' skagit i chopped down and usually only fishing 8-10' tips and a few feet of tippet.... i found once i got too long it was hard too get my loops turning over and opening up but that might jstu be me.... still havnt gotten it down but its definetly more than possible.. as for double overhanding teh stuff u can do it no problem.. i messed around iwth my 8126 and my loop yellow 9140...had a blast last spring at "sone lake" tossin 100 ish foot bombs with double and triple streamer rigs jsut too see what i could do and like gil said watch out.. almost put myself into next week a few times loaded em up with some big skittle sized splitshots too and was easily tossing what seemd like 10 lbs of lead.. jsut really crank on your back cast stab really high(its going too drop on yah regardless so u gotta do your best) waite for teh load and hit it hard going forward and duck if u think ur in trouble.... or jstu curl up into the fetal position ;) hope that helps meng! u can see in this pic...... dotn hold your tip high like iu mentioned i totally destroyed one tip on ym yellow stipping at 11 oclock is.. more like halfway between 9 and 10 works way better. havnt had any issues since...

Thanks Max, that is super helpful.

for sink tip fishing with BIG heavy bugs short leaders(3' or even less) and a long smooth forward stroke with lots of top hand. Remmeber to keep the rod tip moving so use lots of shoulder and keep that rop tip rising. A quick word on rabbit, while I understand it's effectiveness it holds a lot of water making for the most challenging of casting, though definately possible. As well it holds air and does not sink that fast. There are lots of other materials that work comparibly yet are easier to cast and offer better sink. Arctic fox,finn raccoon, super ostrich, rhea, albino peacok are all examples of materials that I prefer to rabbit thougth indeed all listed are more $$$$.

for sink tip fishing with BIG heavy bugs short leaders(3' or even less) and a long smooth forward stroke with lots of top hand. Remmeber to keep the rod tip moving so use lots of shoulder and keep that rop tip rising. A quick word on rabbit, while I understand it's effectiveness it holds a lot of water making for the most challenging of casting, though definately possible. As well it holds air and does not sink that fast. There are lots of other materials that work comparibly yet are easier to cast and offer better sink. Arctic fox,finn raccoon, super ostrich, rhea, albino peacok are all examples of materials that I prefer to rabbit thougth indeed all listed are more $$$$.

Brian is very correct in the use of materials that don't hold water and air so well....in so using big bright flies it is very possible to keep an"EYE" on your fly to assist your casting...

The fly in this picture that fooled a very bright Chum was tied with a bit of Purple Marabou, Ice Chenille(Water resistant) and a Rabbit tail.....big,light,alive in the water ..

C