Fly Fusion Forums

Fly Tying Challenge #2

Flytyer

For this challenge there are 3 mandatory materials: foam, peacock herl and a synthetic dubbing

note : you can use packaging foam if you don't have regular tying foam....it' can create some interesting results and usually colours well with markers.

Deadline: Fri. Dec. 5 9PM

Looking forward to seeing the results

One of my many versions of boatman patterns.

Hook: mustad 3906b sizes 10- 18

Air Bubble: silver holographic ice dub

Body: 3-10 strands of peacock herl (depending on hook size) twisted into a rope and reinforced with thread

Back: black foam coated with nail hardener--- mine took 3 coats to make nice and glossy

Legs: olive-black stretch floss

post-4-1228151560.jpg

post-4-1228151568.jpg

Im not very neat at tying yet and these are tricky materials for me... ill see if i can get something picture worthy

The materials are not that tricky Andy......if something is giving you a problem send me a PM and I'll try to help you out.

Mainly just time to sit at the vice lately, with X-mas and my parents and sisters family coming for the holiday from Ontario, my honeydo list has grown astronomically

I can understand that....no problems with that

I was basically trying to liven it up a bit is all.

So ive tied a streamer, but now i cant find my upload cord. I took this with the computer camera... better then nothing?

Size 4 streamer hook

Foam body wrapped with ice dub and the epoxy'd

strands of peacock herl across the top

glow eyes

marabou tail

2yn3ts4.jpg

DEC.jpg

floating caddis pupae

body- foam underbody with icedub overlay

ribbing-8lb maxima

wing buds-brown foam

thorax/head-peacock herl

i wish more people would take part in this dealio.. its fun too thikn outside the bow.. even if its nota new crazy fish catcher its fun too play around with a select material gorup . it builds skill and creativity and knowone really loses by posting some sort of tye.. skilled tyer or jstu getting started.. some come on poeple tye up some stuff! tis teh season!

lmao nope. both challenges have bin sumn i jsut sat down after thinkin bout the materials at hand for a few days n givin it a go! its what its all about righ? should sting a few sluprin pupae in teh film next summer tho!

That's the idea behind doing this. It will be interesting to see how your pupa does next year... I like the way you approached it, I did a hopper with these same materials but wasn't happy with it.

I had a couple of ideas which I might try to tie when i get back home.

The first was a foam suspending buzzer tied on a scud hook, with peacock herl abdomen, gold wire rib, a dark (brown?) foam "bubble", and white ice dub tied over the bubble.

The other was something I have tried to tie several times with limited success a caddis dry with peacock body, dubbing for an under wing, foam cut into the shape of a single wing then split most of the way through to create a wing case, hackle to match casing.