Fly Fusion Forums

Puerto Vallarta

The family is taking a short holiday to PV, Mexico next week. We're staying at a beachfront resort that has built a breakwater out front to protect guests from the ocean swell. I figure it will harbour some fish also and was considering bringing my 4 pce for a bit of fun. Does anyone know what I could expect to catch? What kind of license would be required?

Thanx

Bob;

I was in that area a couple of years ago, brought my four piece too. There are fish there and I saw some rising, but I tried streamers, dries nymphs etc all to no avail. There were boats trolling along the shore and they were picking up mackerel and the like. I'm not sure what you would use to get them. As far as licenses go, I asked at the resort and they told me not to worry about it. I think if you go out with a guide you'd have to buy a "license". I saw the piece that those guys did on roosterfish in Mexico, but that was on the Baja, mind you that was what I was hoping for. Good luck, it was fun to stand in the surf and cast anyway. Make sure to rinse off your equipment with lots of fresh water.

Bob;

I was in that area a couple of years ago, brought my four piece too. There are fish there and I saw some rising, but I tried streamers, dries nymphs etc all to no avail. There were boats trolling along the shore and they were picking up mackerel and the like. I'm not sure what you would use to get them. As far as licenses go, I asked at the resort and they told me not to worry about it. I think if you go out with a guide you'd have to buy a "license". I saw the piece that those guys did on roosterfish in Mexico, but that was on the Baja, mind you that was what I was hoping for. Good luck, it was fun to stand in the surf and cast anyway. Make sure to rinse off your equipment with lots of fresh water.

If there are mackerel, they like shiny things. Spoonflies in silver would be a good choice. If you don't like the idea of the spoon fly, then streamers (clousers, deceivers, etc.) in chartruese/wht, pink/wht (bright colors, especially if it is clear water) would work. Macks are a hoot to catch on a fly rod. Screaming runs. If you see fish "rising", it is likely bait fish, not the predators. When a predator hits something on the surface, you'll know it! Sling a popper out there. If you get a topwater strike it is AWESOME fun. Good luck!

Thanx guys

I've packed the 4pce and the streamer box. I don't have anything like a popper. I don't have anything that would qualify as salt water gear. I plan on cleaning rinsing afterwards. I think I'll oil the rod guides for a bit of protection. We'll see what happens.

I've caught mackerel incidentally while dropping a buzz bomb to bottom of rock fish on the west coast. They are little rockets. My gear could not handle a roosterfish - 5wt TFO and Tioga reel. I'm planning on small sizes. I do have 25# line for the tippet.

I had heard the same thing about a license down there.

Playa Del Sol Costa Sur - the breakwater is visible on google maps south of PV.

Thanx guys

I've packed the 4pce and the streamer box. I don't have anything like a popper. I don't have anything that would qualify as salt water gear. I plan on cleaning rinsing afterwards. I think I'll oil the rod guides for a bit of protection. We'll see what happens.

I've caught mackerel incidentally while dropping a buzz bomb to bottom of rock fish on the west coast. They are little rockets. My gear could not handle a roosterfish - 5wt TFO and Tioga reel. I'm planning on small sizes. I do have 25# line for the tippet.

I had heard the same thing about a license down there.

Playa Del Sol Costa Sur - the breakwater is visible on google maps south of PV.

Don't know when you leaving, but I have a couple of poppers still I think and live in the south. You are welcome to them.

• 2 weeks later...

I definitely felt like a fish out of water. One morning I tried casting a clouser into an area I'd seen lots of fish while snorkeling. Even with the breakwater there was still lots of shore break and with all the surge I had no idea what the fly was doing. The tide was high at 8 am when I was out and the waves were breaking over the rock wall so the lagoon water was murky and moving lots. I might have had some success working with a nymph when the tide was low and the lagoon quieter but I hadn't brought any. There were lots of sargeant major fish (like large perch) and some schools of larger silvery bottom feeders that looked a bit like bonefish (up 18"). I saw some locals using handlines to cast bait into the main outlet of the lagoon with limited success.

I'll have to do more homework before I go down again.