Fly Fusion Forums

For Those Who Still Use Corkies...

If you use corkies and stick a tooth pick in to hold it, here's a tip.

I like to use a non-tapered leader. Straight mono from top to bottom. I believe the thinner the mono, the quicker it will sink and the less drag the water will have on it. Thats why I would rather use 8lb tippet as opposed to 8lb "spin cast" mono. Its more expensive but I think it might give me a bit of an advantage. Whats 8lb tippet? A 3x, right?

Anyway, the problem I found was my corkie would slip due to the smaller diameter, so what I used to do was use 8lb mono for the top 4-5 ft, for the larger diameter, and then use the 3x tippet.. Then I came up with an idea that overcame the slipping problem. To be used even if you don't use tippet.

Dip your toothpick in Dave's Fleximent, tap the drips off and let it dry. I stick them in my tying light's spring. Sometime I double dip them. The result is a toothpick that has some gripping/give to it. Viola. Less slippage. I think a side bonus it it makes it more water resistant and less of a sponge.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share this idea with you guys. I don't know if its original, but I've never heard of it before.

i like too loop my corkies on like u do yarn.. just double up your fly line feed it through and feed the leader through the loop created and ur laughin

I used to do this too. I showed this method to Hawgstopper years ago (and I bet he showed you?) after he tied his flies on and said "Cripes. I forgot to put my corkie on first". It works great. I think I stopped doing this because its takes just a little more finagling to move it up and down and one time (mind you, only one), my leader broke right at the bottom of the indicator while fighting a fish. Maybe that scared me off.

I think I'll give that method another chance. Thanks for the reminder.

Nick, I find that when it swells, it gets mushy.

Slide the line (I only use straight tippet) through the indicator, then bring it back up to the top of the indicator and run it through again. Sometimes, you don't even need a toothpick to hold it in place as it's so tight. I usually use the froghair indicators with bobber stoppers, and they don't stay too well on straight tippet.