Fly Fusion Forums

As Seen In The Upcoming Winter Issue Of Fly Fusion Magazine

admin

Excerpt from "Fly Snobs Not Allowed"

Photos and Story by

Al Noraker

So, here we go. If you answer, “yes” to seven or more of the following questions drop this magazine and run to the nearest shop and spend your entire weekly paycheck on some techno-snob shirt in teal or peach and stock up on more gadgets to hang from your bulging vest. Warning – When you get your copy of Fly Fusion's winter issue Do Not look at a single photo in the first feature article as they might elicit an immediate and violent response from those that fail this test.

Here we go….

#1 – You spent more than $600 on your last fly rod three years ago and it has never been out of its comfy little case.

#2 – Your vest has at least 12 different tools hanging from it, most of which you’ve never used or don’t even know how to use.

#3 - Your fly reel still has the same backing and fly line on it that was carefully put there by that cute little fly shop in Aspen while you were shopping for shorts impregnated with bug stuff.

#4 – When you travel on a fly-fishing vacation, you also take your golf clubs and tennis racquet.

#5 – It’s too cold to fish if you have to wear more than one extra layer of clothing under your L.L. Bean shirt and you never fish if moisture is falling from the sky in any form.

#6 – You’ve never worn out a pair of wading boots.

#7 – You still think the sport of fly-fishing first began after the movie “A River Runs Through It” first hit the big screen.

#8 – You believe Ted Turner is a native of Montana and the rest of us are just visitors in his state and to his opulent Flying D Ranch.

#9 – Native trout are those stocked from a local hatchery.

#10 – Carp are bottom feeding trash fish that smell bad, look bad and you would never want one of those critters on the end of your fly rod!

They missed the most important one;

-You refer to flyfishermen as flyfishers.

I refer to them as flyfishers because Lynn will smack me with a stick if I call her a flyfisherman.........Right Mike?

dude they look like a freakin fenominal fight! and they are super spookey! give ur freakin head a shake brother!

We have some (I think they are called Grass Carp) In a couple of our City Local ponds here in Med Hat....I have looked at them several times thinking the exact same thing!!...Some of those Buggers are Huge....

Cheers...Jeff..

We have some (I think they are called Grass Carp) In a couple of our City Local ponds here in Med Hat....I have looked at them several times thinking the exact same thing!!...Some of those Buggers are Huge....

Cheers...Jeff..

Ya beedhead.....there are a few monsters I've seen around the hat as well.......don't want to say exactly where as that might tip someone off as to a connection with another number on that list......maybe #4.........

Hey just last week I hooked the largest fish I have ever seen at the end of my fly line, in a tiny stream in idaho. It was a Carp. (grass carp) and it was roughly 40-50 pounds and it was fouled .... I think it was larger than the king salmon in alaska this summer. I didn't land it though... I had my 3wt in search of cutts and rainbows and browns (did find a couple of those too)

Ya beedhead.....there are a few monsters I've seen around the hat as well.......don't want to say exactly where as that might tip someone off as to a connection with another number on that list......maybe #4.........

Yah, but how to you get permission from the people at Ross Creek Golf course :) And how about the other problems of catching a golfer in the backcast. (Gone through this many times when I take my little girls golfing there)

Thought about this before and the problem is that golfers can be as crazy about their sport as us. No use getting up at 6:00 am to get the pond to yourself as you can guarantee there will already be people on the course :)

Yah, but how to you get permission from the people at Ross Creek Golf course :) And how about the other problems of catching a golfer in the backcast. (Gone through this many times when I take my little girls golfing there)

Thought about this before and the problem is that golfers can be as crazy about their sport as us. No use getting up at 6:00 am to get the pond to yourself as you can guarantee there will already be people on the course :)

Bloom, I never knew they had them at Ross creek....Ill have to checkem out sometime....There are a couple ponds at the College that have them monster Carp too....At least there was....Never went to see them this year....Bree-my Oldest, usually wants to go see them, but never mentioned it this year....some of those Carp are HUGE!!...Wonder if ya can fish for them Carp???....The regs say Pike are in the College Ponds, but dont mention anything about the Carp....

Cheers...Jeff..

When I lived in Waupoos ON, we had grass carp in the Bay huge things and someday you would think you had a huge pike on when you get it close carp.

My daughter caught a 45lbr fishing for Bass once, hell of a battle for a 7 yr old but she gotit to the boat. They can fight like B@stards when they want to. a bit slimey but no worse that a catfish.

Don't think I'll make a special trip to hunt Carp but if it will bite and fight then I'll give it a go.

oh and didnot get one of those. guess I'm safe

Teck