Fly Fusion Forums

Tiger Trout Hatchery Wanted

Guest Sundancefisher

Guest Sundancefisher
Ya, I'm sure the 8 year old kids who brought a bucket of perch from midnapore to sundance 15 years ago will be energetic about that idea. lol...

Best thing that could happen now is poision the lake and start all over, which will never be given the go ahead.

Kyle

Poisoning the lake may be an option if the cost did not outway the benefit by too much.

Other ideas would be to net using a combination of fyke nets (over night) and gill nets (short sets < 1 hour), stocking larger rainbows and instituting a size limit say 1 over 18 or 20 inches, lowering the limit from 4 per day to 1 since four 10 inch trout are worth one 20 incher in cooking weight, promoting perch fishing and more intensive egg collection. That management combination may keep perch at bay enough to allow some size and maintain a useable fishery. This would have to be revisited after a while. Also if the lake ever needed draining and maintenance a fish kill then would be desired.

If you are wishing something to be done...email the Board and tell them your thoughts. Nothing gets done in a vacuum.

Birchy...brook trout do not get big enough unfortunately to eat perch. The brown trout side seems to add some size and meanness

Guest Sundancefisher
I guess that would be potentially harmful to the Rainbow population too though eh?

I am still trying to give away free tickets to tonights Salmon Foundation Dinner...

Birchy ypu got my permision to come to the lake anytime. Sun, i never heard a reply from My e-mail to the lake(as usual) but i sure hope that we can do something about it. Did those perch really come from Midnapore? Stinking Midnapore. I got some buddies that live over there and we ride each other pretty good about our comunities. Or as i like to them "the other side of the tracks".

Guest Sundancefisher
Birchy ypu got my permision to come to the lake anytime. Sun, i never heard a reply from My e-mail to the lake(as usual) but i sure hope that we can do something about it. Did those perch really come from Midnapore? Stinking Midnapore. I got some buddies that live over there and we ride each other pretty good about our comunities. Or as i like to them "the other side of the tracks".

I strongly believe that the Board wants to do what is best...it is just that only one guy really fishes... The others do not see it as anything more than a nuisance at times. In order to tip the scales they need to know it is highly valued. When only 1 or 2 contact them and say the fishing is going down hill and perch are taking over which is a bad thing...it will clearly NOT be a priority. When people think of our lake they think, boating, swimming, fishing, skating... Fishing always comes up when people are asked what activities are available. Fishing is just one important aspect of which together with all other recreational benefits makes the lake as good as it can be. Take it away and it falls apart at the seems. Get all your neighbours and fellow Sundance fishing buddies to contact the board with a request to have a detailed and effective perch management plan.

What can bring families together in fun and peaceful way and still teach about nature and caring for the environment than fishing!

Cheers

Sun

Birchy...brook trout do not get big enough unfortunately to eat perch. The brown trout side seems to add some size and meanness

Triploid Brookies will grow more than large enough to eat Perch (but will they?) and they grow very fast, They will live with Rainbows, A friend of mine hopes to have Triploid Brookies for sale in the spring, If thats an option you are looking at.

Why does it have to be a trout fishery?? What is wrong with it being a Perch fishery??

there are no predators in the lake to keep perch #'s down, they are starting to stunt. Soon it will be a 4 inch perch fest in there, with skinny 12 inch rainbows. That aint no fun...

Dude, where ya been?

By the way, just so you know, to us Chaparralians, Sundance is the other side of the tracks.

Is there any evidence that triploid brookies, or tiger trout would eat perch. Though the would be cool regardless.