Fly Fusion Forums

Is There A Top 10 Canadian Flies List??

Guest 001

Guest RedWiggler

Just curious what the top ten flies in Canada would be? Do you think it would be similar to the US list? What would your list look like?

1. Elk Hair Caddis

2. Parachute Adams

3. Black Copper John

4. Woolly Bugger

5. San Juan Worm (or is that just here in Calgary...lol)

6. Stimmy

7. Hopper's (one would think foam ones are taking over these days)

8. Head Hares Ear (beaded or not)

9. Clouser Minnow

10. Pheasnat Tail Nymphs (beaded or not)

I really like Foam Ants, Skid Bitches and Boatmen in a wide range as well but gotta keep the list to 10.

You would need to take into account the diverse range of fishing in the country. BC, Alberta, Ontario, Quebec and eastern Canada will have much different flies represented, with a common cross section. I would add a Glo-Bug, Blue Charm, Bomber and perhaps a sno-cone to the equation. Your list looks like a good representation of a southern Alberta box.

Survey all the large suppiers as well as the smaller ones and you may get some unexpected results. I tie a few thousand flies for clients every year and the only one of those that registeres in my top 10 would be the Wooly Bugger (Including all the varieties I tie :) )

My Top 10 looks a wee bit different

CDC & Elk

Usual

Alaskabou

Flesh Fly

Snocone

Steelhead Hammer

Black Stonefly

Golden Stonefly

Glo-Egg

Wooly / Crystal Buggers

So what is everyone else have for their top 10?

Guest RedWiggler

Everybody does it differantly and has there own favorites, should be intersting to get some feedback from differant people from differant places. Myself I mainly fish for trout in Alberta on both moving and stillwaters so I believe my top 10 would be kinda typical for this area and application, I did happen to forget the Leech in many differant sizes & forms. For the patterns that I mentioned Im sure there are countless variations of every pattern, I know the ones I use are all kinda differant from the ones I see in the stores because I tie all of the flies I use. This is a tough topic as there are so many fish, flies, applications and places. It would be interesting to get a feel for what sells the most.

Guest Jeremie

mine would have to be these

1.H & L variant

2. san juan worm

3. glo-bug

4. leech

5. wooly bugger

6.Copper john

7. prince nymph

8.chronomid

9. stonefly nymph ( golden, black etc..)

10 stimulator in all sizes