Fly Fusion Forums

Digitizing Lp's

I’d really like to get all my old LP’s into MP3 format for my iPod.

I see a couple of items that look interesting.

I'll be attaching a vintage Thorens tt to an iMac fior use on an iPod.

Audio-technica LP2D

Numark TTi

Ion products

Ion U Record

I also understand that there is a $39 device at Costco - plug in RCA’s and get MP3.

There must also be others.

Any one used any of the various methods and got any comments or reviews

i am no computer wizz dude but when i put my cd's into my PC and want too rip em too my library too put on a mp3 played or ipod i can choose too make em MP3 files..... u can also convert files on your computer too MP3's aswell.. theres probably a slightly different way depending on wich program u have.. hope that helps

Depending on your soundcard , there is a program called Cool Edit Pro

EQUIPMENT

I am going to assume that you already have a sound card and turntable, so the first thing you need to do is find the appropriate method to connect your turntable to the computer.

Most turntables have RCA outs, which in most cases you CANNOT connect directly to your sound card (even with cable adaptors to connect into phono jacks into your sound card). The reason for this is that turntables produce signals at very low volumes, and these need to be amplified BEFORE even an amplifier can amplify them! That's why stereo amplifiers usually have special "phono" inputs.

So in this case, you need to "preamplify" the phono output BEFORE it goes to your sound card (ie plug your turntable into the amp, then plug the amp into your soundcard).

It should be pretty easy to work out what to plug into which (you may have to buy a few adaptor cables).

So once you have audio signal coming into your soundcard, you need a method of recording this to .wav (which you can then convert to MP3

You need a sound application for this. I suggest Cool Edit Pro (very easy to use) or Soundforge (I don't think it's as easy, but it VERY powerful). They can record to .wav or .pcm, and can then convert to MP3. These applications will enable you to split tracks, delete silence, normalise the volume, etc.

you can download cool edit pro online for free , let me know if all this is confusing for you , i can break it down in alot more detail .....i produce music in my spare time , so i am very familiar with this ......:) good luck , If anyone here is interested you can listen to some of the instrumentals/beats i have produced on my website here is the link >>>J Glaze Beatzhttp://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=847266

Was at Linen's n Things at Brentwood with my g/f yesterday and saw this (photo attached)...reminded me of the thread so I took a photo with my phone. I think it is on sale for 20% off from $349. You could use it to convert to CD and then rip the cd's to mp3 on your pc.

post-834-1225042358.jpg

OK here's wher I am.

Ordered a Griffin iMic2 for connecting.

Considering Final Vinyl and/or Audacity for software. I'll look at Cool edit too.

My Thorens 160 is a much better quality tt than any of those currently on the market - that's my reason for not going with a new MP3 capable tt.

If anyone else is interested in this, head down to "The Inner Sleeve" record store in Marda Loop. They carry quality USB turntables at a good price and the people there really know their stuff. Better than buying from Costco as they will tell you all you need to know about the process.