Fly Fusion Forums

Jim Black Dream Cast Silver Lightning Bug ?????

troutfisher

Haven't tied one, but it appears to be a modified copper john/ lightning bug type pattern Try this:

Hook: your preference, my guess would be #14-18 straight shank

Tail: Pheasant tail

Abdomen: holographic tinsel

Thorax: Peacock hurl

Wingcase: Flashback

Legs: Pheasant tail

Appears to be no wire wrapping for the abdomen, but you could throw in some copper wire to add some strength.

well, i seriously messed this one up didnt have Pheasant tail subsutuded with deer hair lol , i am having a hard time keeping the holographic tinsel wrapped tight , it always comes loose(as you can see in the photo) , any tips for this ? here's the mess i created , take it easy on me i am new to tying flys .

S6301290.jpg

Guest RedWiggler

Just make sure to keep good tension on the tinsle when you are wrapping it, I tie alot of little beadhead nymphs like this and you need to hold it tight while you are tying it off as well. You will want to make sure there are no gaps in the tinsel when wrapping it and this will come with practise. Just sit there and tie 12 of them and by the twelve one you should have it perfected or just how you want it. You will want to build the tapered body up with the thread or you can wrap lead or (i prefer the lead free wrap), then tie the tinsel in at the back of the hook (towards the bend) and wrap it tightly towards the eye of the hook were your thread and bobbin are waiting to tie it off. This is a deadly pattern that will yield fish at any time of year on the Bow, once you figure it out try tying it in red holo as well, I find red to be even better than silver.

Cut a taper at the end of your tinsel at the tie in point, make sure that your under wraps that the tinsel is wrapping over are smoth with a slight taper on the thorax, wrap with touching not overlapping wraps. Once you achieve a good wrap consistently try covering the underwraps with a bit of head cement then wrap. Makes it tooth proof.

link didnt work

Sorry about that, I tried the link yesterday before I sent the message and it worked. I just tried again this morning and it doesn't work. What can I say?

It was basically what you were doing except that the pattern called for an underbody wrap of chartreuse thread. The overbody layer of pearlescent tinsel aloud the chartreuse colour to show through. Give it a try.

Murray

• 3 weeks later...

trout- the key is keeping tension and laying the tinsel flat.

To achieve both of these tips, you can put your tinsel in a hackle plier (after tying in) and put your index finger (dominant hand) in the bend of the plier. Rotate around the hook with constant tension and then tie off with your non-dominant hand (or press down on the fly with your non-dominant hand and tie-off with your other).