Fly Fusion Forums

Proposed Dam On A Wild Nz River

Harps

New Zealand has always represented the best to me... the best sheep and wool (more velcro gloves than in all of Scotland), the cleanest water, the nicest people, and of course, the BEST trout rivers (after Alberta).

Right now, one of those trout rivers is being threatened by a dam. Those of you who fished the Oldman before the dam was put in place will understand how this will ruin the river and destroy the wild trout population. On top of that, its just not the same to fish below a big concrete wall.

As an angler I appreciate wild spaces and natural flowing rivers. I have always dreamed of travelling to New Zealand to fish the wild productive rivers. I have no desire to fish a tamed river below or above a dam, and I’m sure many of the tourist/anglers that travel there (or dream to) feel the same as I.

I enjoy catching wild fish that I know have struggled within their environment to attain the condition they are in… and from what I’ve seen of the Nevis, the fish are excellent (see below)!

Info on the issue can be found here: http://www.savethenevis.co.nz/

Sign the petition here, to show international support for wild fish, that one day, I may have a chance to pursue.

http://www.wrap.org.nz/

chris03c.jpg

Picture from Sexyloops:

http://www.sexyloops.com/picofday/chris/chris03.shtml

Take 2 minutes and sign... because one day when you win the lotto and offer to bring me to NZ, I'll want to fish this river!!

Thanks guys.

Pacres, I've posted it over on Flyangler.ca also... been awhile since I've wandered over that way.

Come on folks... only 15 views...

very few Canadian signatures... a whole pile of Swedish ones!?! I've heard that the country with the most signatures will take the gold in the next hockey tournie...

Plus the Swedish bikini supermodel-brain surgeons really dig guys that like to save rivers...

:D

150 views and only 9 Canadians have signed since I posted this...

shame, shame...

(Thanks to the guys who did)

Some folks who do fish that river alot were over here this past month lending a physical hand cleaning our rivers, and folks here can't even sign their name.

ex10.jpg

Special thanks to Paul Arden and Babus who, while on Vacation from Hungary, helped with the Crowsnest River clean-up!!!

I have no desire to fish a tamed river below or above a dam, and I?m sure many of the tourist/anglers that travel there (or dream to) feel the same as I.

I'm with you on this one Harps and have already signed. I mean can you imagine how lousy the fishing on the Bow River would be if they ever put a Dam on it?

On an un-related note, I tried to drift the Bow, downstream of Cochrane last week. Just west of Calgary, the river started to get really slow and much wider. Has anyone else experienced this?

I'm with you on this one Harps and have already signed. I mean can you imagine how lousy the fishing on the Bow River would be if they ever put a Dam on it?

On an un-related note, I tried to drift the Bow, downstream of Cochrane last week. Just west of Calgary, the river started to get really slow and much wider. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks for the signature OO,

The crazy thing about the Bow... while I'm sure the native fishing was excellent, the temperatures have been impovred by bottom draw dams and the productivity has increased from the city wastes (relative to brown and rainbow production. There are also tribs for fish to go and spawn in.

My understanding of the NZ river is that it is already a great productive stable temperatured watercourse. To put a dam on it would diminish the desired fishery... Of course, none of this has anything to do with what the best environmental course would be for the Bow... just what the desired fishery is.

Thanks for the signature and the Facebook placing, Erik!! Much appreciated (I don't have the facebook skills or community to have any affect :closedeyes: )

Done

I will be over there starting Dec 29th to Jan 20th :D So my plan is to chain myself to that hot blond until they stop the planing of that dam.

Chris, all-in-all I'd say that sounds like a pretty solid plan of action. I like your approach....I mean, it works for trees, right? You can't really chain yourself to the river so, really, the only other alternative is a hot blond with an accent.

New Zealand has always represented the best to me... the best sheep and wool (more velcro gloves than in all of Scotland), the cleanest water, the nicest people, and of course, the BEST trout rivers (after Alberta).

Right now, one of those trout rivers is being threatened by a dam. Those of you who fished the Oldman before the dam was put in place will understand how this will ruin the river and destroy the wild trout population. On top of that, its just not the same to fish below a big concrete wall.

As an angler I appreciate wild spaces and natural flowing rivers. I have always dreamed of travelling to New Zealand to fish the wild productive rivers. I have no desire to fish a tamed river below or above a dam, and I’m sure many of the tourist/anglers that travel there (or dream to) feel the same as I.

I enjoy catching wild fish that I know have struggled within their environment to attain the condition they are in… and from what I’ve seen of the Nevis, the fish are excellent (see below)!

Info on the issue can be found here: http://www.savethenevis.co.nz/

Sign the petition here, to show international support for wild fish, that one day, I may have a chance to pursue.

http://www.wrap.org.nz/

chris03c.jpg

Picture from Sexyloops:

http://www.sexyloops.com/picofday/chris/chris03.shtml

Take 2 minutes and sign... because one day when you win the lotto and offer to bring me to NZ, I'll want to fish this river!!

signed - I will be in NZ in 2 years for my birthday and part of my present to myself will be fishing for about 3 days - will need to take this river in, any other suggestions?

signed - I will be in NZ in 2 years for my birthday and part of my present to myself will be fishing for about 3 days - will need to take this river in, any other suggestions?

Bernie,

Check out the board at www.sexyloops.com

There are alot of folks from New Zealand there. In particular... Chris Dore is a very well respected and knowledgeble guide. Check out his website at http://www.troutsafaris.co.nz/home.htm. Tons of info and some great links.

Glenbow on this site was over there recently and may have some great info for you. He's also at http://glenbowflyfishing.com/.

For the rest of you guys... sign the petition

There's just about as many views as total signatures...

• 3 months later...

I agree it is a terrible thing for any river to have a dam on it, but why is it our concern to worry about a area that only a rich few can go fish. We have lots of issues right here in Alberta that need more attention than someone building a dam in New Zealand, the proposed logging in the Crowsnest and Oldman is more important to me. It just seems that people are more concerned about what happens half way around the world than what happens in there own back yard. We still have all the idiots out west with there quads destroying everything they can, the logging companies and oilfield doing the same but not much has been done to stop that. But I guess when all the fishing and land has been raped here all the rich folks can still go to New Zealand, South America and other locales to get some fishing and the rest of us will get the *hit end of the stick.

I agree it is a terrible thing for any river to have a dam on it, but why is it our concern to worry about a area that only a rich few can go fish. We have lots of issues right here in Alberta that need more attention than someone building a dam in New Zealand, the proposed logging in the Crowsnest and Oldman is more important to me. It just seems that people are more concerned about what happens half way around the world than what happens in there own back yard. We still have all the idiots out west with there quads destroying everything they can, the logging companies and oilfield doing the same but not much has been done to stop that. But I guess when all the fishing and land has been raped here all the rich folks can still go to New Zealand, South America and other locales to get some fishing and the rest of us will get the *hit end of the stick.

Hey BBT, didn't you just go to New Zealand? I didn't know you were a rich man. Can you lend me some money? Are you still working for one of those planet raping oil companies? And Harps, since you started all this, you must be just rolling in it. Can you lend me some?

Sorry for the sarcastic digression. I don't think that just because people sign a petition in New Zealand, or anywhere else for that matter, means they are ignoring issues here. My bet is most of the people who signed this petition DO involve themselves in issues here. And just because people go to New Zealand, or Argentina, or whereever to fish does not necessarily mean they are rich.

Being concerned with the Crow and Oldman are noble sentiments. You should be, as many on this board are. If you are not concerned with fisheries anywhere else, that is perfectly fine. But you should not question the motives, or economics, of those who are. I think if you did a bit of research you would find Harps is involved in plenty of issues concerning waters both near and far (though I might buy a can of tuna today just to piss him off). If 10% of us were as involved, the fisheries here would be much better off.

Hey BBT, didn't you just go to New Zealand? I didn't know you were a rich man. Can you lend me some money? Are you still working for one of those planet raping oil companies? And Harps, since you started all this, you must be just rolling in it. Can you lend me some?

Rick I'm still in NZ and I am far from rich. I can still lend you a 20 if needed or maybe a 100 but after that you are *hit out of luck. Yup I assist in the raping of the land but hey we are trying to do it more green every year :rolleyes:

Harps is the man for sure if you want to meet someone who is in the know of what is happing in Alberta and he would be the first to post on here if he had any concerns and needed assistance in a battle on the home front. Also if you spend any time on here you will notice he cares about a lot of things outside of this province and country and really what is it taking away from anything else if I sign something on the internet for a cause half way around the world? maybe when we have something that needs to be signed some nice folks from NZ will remember all of us who helped them and they will help us.

Wow?

You'd open a months old thread to complain that people had initiative to (try to) protect a river in New Zealand?

What made you so bitter? Honestly? In your few other post about the environment here in Alberta you call our elected reps and ministers idiots, and you wonder why you're not getting anything productive back (not that I've gotten much back that was productive, nor would I argue that they don't act ignorantly about the environment... although they do have to balance there opinions and moderate their acts)?

We do have alot of issues in Alberta, but we also seem to have less people getting off their butts to do anything. That's our wonderful western society. I think New Zealand(ers) have a different opinion and fit on the fringe of western society... they seem to consider quality over quantity. I have never been there but would love to go... and I have broke friends that have travelled there... you just have to be willing to give up something... how much does a computer cost? a tv? a big truck? You could go to the library, use their computers, take a bus and buy a used car and save the money to go to New Zealand in no time.

The only place I've been to off the continent was Cuba last spring... and no fishing, just a honeymoon.

If you really cared, you care about all places, not just the places you can drive to.

If you really have an issue you'd do something. I don't know if you ever have because you've never posted anything in that regards, besides mentioning emails (kudoos for that which is much much more than most do).

You've talked about the Livingstone and the Oldman and the Crow... so what do you know about what's going on?

Where are they logging? What would you propose to fix it? Have you talked to the local fisheries biologists to find out that they've been dealing with this? They've looked at buffers and slopes. They've had meetings with industry and public. Have you separated rumour from fact?

What are the oil companies doing? Please explain it me so we can come up with a solution. Is it bad crossings? Should we petition for clear span bridges only? Is it roads... they are a problem with all the dirt that gets washed off in rain and snowmelt. But do the O&G companies own/lease the roads? Is it cutlines? They've been recently making them squigly to disrupt sight lines, but what else can we fix? THere are obvious issues, but we have to be able to solve piles of small stuff to move forward... O&G and Logging aren't going to go away.

Is it ATV use? Should we petition for an access closure? Stiff fines for off-trail use (and actual enforcement). Maybe we should be taxing ATV sales and putting that money in a restoration fund... Neeed MLA support for that one.

You obviously have some issues, so please share.

Educate us please, because we're all obviously rich anglers making our buck off timber and crude, while waiting for a flight south. ;)

Really, if you have some specific issues, lets bring them up on this board and see if we can work through a solution to take to the gov't.

BBT, I'll borrow $100 if you have it to spare... could you also send me a plane ticket so I can come collect it from you??

Do you have more fishing planned?

Rick, you'd better watch out for mercury in that can of tuna... and they've got sharp edges!?!

:cheers: