Fly Fusion Forums

Pfds - Life Jackets

Guest TerryH

I use one of the Mustang C02 inflatables when I'm in my pontoon.

MD1165thumb8.jpg

It's like a normal fly vest (i.e with all the pockets etc.) but with the inflatable feature. Cost was around $180 at Wholesale Sports.

Terry

I use one of the Mustang C02 inflatables when I'm in my pontoon.

MD1165thumb8.jpg

It's like a normal fly vest (i.e with all the pockets etc.) but with the inflatable feature. Cost was around $180 at Wholesale Sports.

Terry

Does this satisfy the legal requirement? Just in case I get checked.

The legal requirement for PFD's, are that it is Dept. of Transportation approved, which will be marked on the vest.

Without DOT approval, it is not a legal PFD in Canada. This was the standard for decades and I think it still is.

The legal requirement for PFD's, are that it is Dept. of Transportation approved, which will be marked on the vest.

Without DOT approval, it is not a legal PFD in Canada. This was the standard for decades and I think it still is.

Thanks Toolman. It looks like TC (Transport Canada) also approves PFDs. The vest shown has no approvals.

Hi,

Here's the relevant Mustang website ...

http://www.mustangsurvival.com/products/product.php?id=228

You'll see that the collars are approved and the vests are not, like the earlier post says ... which means that the vest probably has some kind of shortcoming ... a so-so safety device and a so-so fishing vest.

Solutions?

- Wear the Mustang vest but carry a second "normal" PFD if there's room.

- Wear a Mustang collar PFD over your favourite FF vest.

- Buy one of the new Source (house-brand) PFD's from Mountain Equipment Co-op with the two optional front pockets (and maybe the hydration unit), and pack accordingly.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail....D=1184022043832

I wonder what "shortcoming" the Mustang fishing vest has that precluded it from being certified. Anybody have any idea?

Ron

Guest TerryH
........... I wonder what "shortcoming" the Mustang fishing vest has that precluded it from being certified. Anybody have any idea? ..........

Here's the "explanation" from the FAQ section of the Mustang website. I didn't know about all this when I bought my inflatable vest, although I guess I should have looked for the TC or CCG label. Terry

Why are your Inflatable fishing vests not approved?

The MD1165 (Deluxe Inflatable Fisherman Vest) and the MIV-10 (Inflatable Fisherman Vest) do not carry approvals from either Transport Canada or Canadian Coast Guard.

The Fisherman's Vests while not approved, will provide the required buoyancy, when inflated, to keep the user afloat. The Inflatable Fisherman's Vests offer 16 lbs of buoyancy when inflated compared to 15.5 lbs of buoyancy in traditional, inherently buoyant, personal floatation devices. The standard in Canada for approved vests or suspenders type inflatable PFD's is 150 Newtons or nearly 34 lbs.

Our full line of Inflatable PFD's (excluding the Fisherman's Vests) are approved under UL 1180 with Canadian Addendum. These units offer 35 lbs of buoyancy when inflated.

Hi Terry,

Thanks for solving the mystery. Their fuzzy explanation is still a bit confusing, eh?

The Fisherman's Vests while not approved, will provide the required buoyancy, when inflated, to keep the user afloat. The Inflatable Fisherman's Vests offer 16 lbs of buoyancy when inflated compared to 15.5 lbs of buoyancy in traditional, inherently buoyant, personal floatation devices. The standard in Canada for approved vests or suspenders type inflatable PFD's is 150 Newtons or nearly 34 lbs.

They say "traditional, inherently buoyant PFD's" have a buoyancy rating of 15.5 pounds and then say "approved vests" in Canada must have a rating of 34 pounds ... so I'm guessing that their reference to "approved vests" actually means "approved inflatable vests" like their high-end SAR and industrial gear.

Hey, we don't live too far apart ... I'm about five kliks south of The Gap.

Ron