Fly Fusion Forums

2008 National Fly Fishing Championships

Got back sunday night from Mont-Tremblant Quebec, where the 6th national fly fishing championships were held. We entered a youth team in the senior's event. I was fishing captain of our national youth team which this year which was comprimised of myself, Mike Lennox from ottawa, simon wells from ottawa, david nonmura from missasauga, and our newest member Colin Huff from chealsy quebec, coached by bob sheedy.

We went into the competition with the goal of a team top five finish, and well we won the canadian section of the event, coming seconde to Team USA in the combined results.

We had three top ten finished Mike lennox one the individual competition in 1st place, simon wells in seconde, and myself in 8th.

The competition was absolutly awsome, it was run without a hitch, the diable river and lakes of club baroux provided us with many double digit sessions.

The diable provided from some trecherouse wading, put it was a blast, alot of the time during my competition session if the wading was too tough to get to the controller i would kick my feet up and float down. My sessions on the diable were definatly two of my favorite competition sessions to date.

There were three lakes in the competition which were all fished loch style, as fips-mouche rules( no anchor, or indicator)

It was a blast, between tying flies with ian colin james, and getting on water time with bob sheedy, terrence courtoreille, and randy taylor. Meeting people from bc and quebec, and sitting next to the american team at the banqoute. We meet alot of great people, learned heaps more and as an added bonus came away with a medal.

It was a complete team effort, and i can't say enough about how the whole team did, each one of us won at least one of your sessions which, and no blanks in our last session contributed to our victory. We have a great team and we'll be shooting sky high at 2009 youth worlds.

Full results from the competition can be found here:

http://www.moucheursendiables.com/ensemble.../nouvelles.html

There will be full reports from our youth team posted on the fly fishing canada website in the near future, i'll post them here when they're up.

Anyways it was a great time, thought id share, and if you get the opourtunity to go to a competition hop on it.

heres a picture of the team at the award ceremony:

from left to right its David nonomura, Mike Lennox, Simon Wells, Myself, and Colin Huff

post-393-1221704352.jpg

post-393-1221704363.jpg

Thanks for the congrats, we had a great time thats for sure. Hahah i met randy he was in my group, I shared my frist beat on the river with him,I never heard anything about a 40 inch trout! Hes a funny guy though, I look forward to fishing with him in the future. Hahah i don't know about dutch but definatly a rasta, i want his sweater with the jamaican colours haha.