Fly Fusion Forums

"little Green Man"

bigalcal

• 2 months later...

I tied a few flies with this name a couple years back, he had a sample to work from and if memory serves me correctly it was larger than a 24, probably 16-18 had an orange thread butt, olive dubbed body, cdc wing and orange thread head. Sound familar?

After I got a few of these from my friend Susie at Crowsnest Cafe and Fly Shop, I started tying them myself for use on our "home waters" in MN and WI. They also worked very well on the St. Joe in Idaho this summer.

Susie's Little Green Man two ways:

Hook: sz 18 to 26 dryfly hook

Thread: olive

Wing: gray cdc plus some white on top for visibility

Head: red, cinnamon or orange thread

Second version:

Hook: light wire scud hook sz 18-26

Thread: olive

Overbody: tan or olive stretchy cord, v-rib or what-have-you in very thin size

Wing: same as above

Head: same as above

Second version takes an nth more time, but these are otherwise very quick and easy to tie. For the second, you lay down a layer of thread in your preferred body color (sometimes baetis here are more tan and sometimes they're more green). Then you wrap the plastic cord over it. If it's reasonably transparent you have the thread color coming through. It's an interesting effect and slightly more durable than a simple thread body. Also a bit fatter. But you know, when you get down under a size 20, you don't want to put a whole bunch of crap on a hook.

The white CDC addition is also my own variation and the sharp eyed among you will not need it.

Mr. Botangles, I'll mention you in the Christmas card we send them (pm me your name if you like).

Speaking of amazing Susie, I have two of her paintings. One of the area around Waterton and another of the 'Pass that shows the Crow, the pines and the slide in the distance.

that is a pretty sweet lokin fly darbles!

i like too fish a green/yellow blend with a cdc post n thats it! on teh crow...... them fish can be hells picky at times thats forsure! had a hell of a time a few weeks back when htey were eating midges..wouldnt even get a sniff at first but it seemed teh more dubbing and thread i chewed off the fly the more they started too finally look at it then finally a fish ate it.. biot bodies are also deadly on teh crow for the picky slurpers