Fly Fusion Forums

Need Some Suggestions!

DonnieM

Hey guys. Ok here is the story, my girlfriend, myself and two other friends are looking to do some late season camping since its going to be such a gorgeous weekend. My two favourite camping spots are now closed for the season, so anyone have some suggestions on where to head? Our criteria is:

-Needs to be within an hour and a half drive of Calgary, as we are leaving 6pm Friday night and want to be set up before dark.

-Located on a good stream/creek/river, as my main priority for the weekend will be fishing of course haha, and the others all like to fish, but are very very new to our wonderful sport and will be using spin tackle. So gulliable trout are a must, but with the chance of a bigger few for the discerning gentleman :)

-Access to firewood would be preferable but we could bring our own if need be.

Thats about it. I was thinking Cataract Creek, I havent been up that way for quite awihle so I dont know if its still even open. Or perhaps up the FTR to Burnt Timber or that general area. Thanks a lot for any suggestions!

I know you said an hour and a half drive , but one spot you may want to consider is Payne Lake. It's about 2 and 1/2 hour drive but it is right on the lake. It has lots of rainbows in it that are quite eager to play. You are also in close proximity to several streams, most less that 1/2 hour drive. (St. Mary's, Wateron and I think the Belly is close as well. They charge 18 bucks a night to camp and they are still open. I think you have to bring your own firewwood though.

Murray