Fly Fusion Forums

Rod Advice

I am about to buy a new 5-6 wt general purpose rod. Mostly bow river nymphing, streamers and larger dry stuff. I have an 8wt for the big stuff, and a 5wt cane for dries.

I am leaning toward a 5wt 10'. Maybe a 6wt.

I'd like to here some opinions from guys who have used 10' rods on the bow. I like to idea of the extra length for one handed spey stuff and for short lining.

Also, some opinions on the 5 or 6 wt choice would be good.

I honestly may never buy another rod shorter then 10' I find it does everything really well and is as maneuverable as a short rod on everything but the smallest creeks..... thats just me though I will likely go even longer if I can find something in a lighter weight then most longer rods

like this

http://products.gloomis.com/gl/products/fl...D=1183851558537

or this one

http://products.gloomis.com/gl/products/fl...D=1183851665302

the last one must be a sweet rod I may have to place an order........

I fish a 9'6" 5wt on the Bow mostly..and there are a lot of times i wish I had a little heavier rod..for throwing streamers or lots of weight to nymph deep..or the most common when i hit a hog and think oh S*** im in trouble..can't see an extra 6" making a hugh difference..but every bit helps especially for short line fishing..

I just realized my new rod is a 9'0"..sorry .. LOL to may rods

I had a 10' 7wt for 25 years and it was the best rod I've ever used. Unfortunately the rsins failed about 15" below the tip one day and the rod just folded over. Probably nailed it with a weigthed streamer of heavy nymph one time too many. It made a big difference in mending and throwing nymphing rigs easily. A 9' works well, but not as good as a 10.

Guest rusty

I have a 10' #6 XP - it's a fabulous rod for highsticking and pushing big fish around. Would totally recommend it.