Fly Fusion Forums

Size 3x Tippet To Big For The Bow?

I increased the strength of my tippet to 3X, as the fish in the bow kept breaking off. Is this too unsightly for the bow river? I can even see the tippit under the water in the bright sunlight. Any advice would help.

I fish straight 10lb test when nymphing with no issues and I picked up fish today on 3X in gin clear water in the city. I never have an issue with 3x on the bow. Could be I would hook up more often on light tippet, I have never tried going up in size.

al

Here's my take on it...

Hook size divided by 4 = correct tippet size. Yes, there are many situations where this can vary a size up or down, depending on the fishing technique/presentation/conditions, but this is the general guideline that I use.

Examples...

#20 hook / 4 = 5x tippet

#16 hook / 4 = 4x tippet

#12 hook / 4 = 3x tippet

# 8 hook / 4 = 2x tippet

# 4 hook / 4 = 1x tippet

It is important that the tippet size matches the fly size, as a tippet that is too heavy can overpower the fly and make it more difficult to maintain a drag free, natural drift. Using a tippet that is too light will not cast as well, as the mass of the fly will over power the tippet.

Don't worry about your tippets visibility and focus on your flys presentation, as the trout certainly will. When water conditions are very clear and flows are slower, trout have a longer period of time to inspect your flys swim. If it looks good, the trout will take it, even if there is a 14' super fast sink tip, only a foot away from a #18 Waterboatman pattern.

So, it's all about your presentation and not so much about tippet visibility, in my opinion.

When using multiple fly rigs, it becomes even more important to maintain balance in the line/leader/tippet system, especailly if casting longer distances, on windy days etc. The tippet/fly size is best arranged in a descending order from largest fly, too the smallest fly as the point fly. (Again, there are exceptions for some methods)

I often use very light, fine diameter Flurocarbon leader/tippets on my trout Spey rods, even as small as 5x.

A reel with a high performance drag system for fast, smooth start ups will help, as well as knowing how far you can go before your tippet or knot breaks. It's a delicate game of give and take when you play with fine tippets, small flys and Bow river trout.

Also, I would pay close attention to your knots. The finer the tippets become, the more important the knots become.

Lastly, I always use the highest quality tippet material...because the next trout, could be the trout of your lifetime.

Hope this is helpfull...good luck!

Guest RedWiggler

I believe that 3x is pretty standard on the Bow for nymphing. Personally I go 3x to the first fly and then depending on the size of the second fly it will be 3x or 4x. For dry fly its always 4x unless the fly is 18 or smaller then you have to go to 5x. Like Toolman said you need to match your fly size to tippet size or casting/presentation will be a problem. :cheers:

Here's my take on it...

Hook size divided by 4 = correct tippet size. Yes, there are many situations where this can vary a size up or down, depending on the fishing technique/presentation/conditions, but this is the general guideline that I use.

Examples...

#20 hook / 4 = 5x tippet

#16 hook / 4 = 4x tippet

#12 hook / 4 = 3x tippet

# 8 hook / 4 = 2x tippet

# 4 hook / 4 = 1x tippet

Hey you forgot 6, 10, 14, 18 sizes. I guess you would need a calculator for those ones. <--poke--<

Introducing, new on the market today... "Hawgstoppahs Tippet Shop".

For those hard to find tippets for hook sizes that just don't have a tippet

Try our new size 3.2 tippet for your #18 hook :)

Or our 2.5 tippet for your #10 san juans, a real beauty :)

Also important to note that not all 4x material is the same strength. I started using Rio Fluro Flex plus last year. The 4X is 7lb - and I find it incredibly strong (have lifted some very large logs off the bottom).

Regarding matching tippet to fly - other than for size 16+, I just use the 4X.

Also - I find that with the Rio plus - need at least a triple surgeons knot at the leader or it'll cut through.

I see from Rio's site that for 2008 they have a new product that is 5X - 10 lb (not fluro carbon). It is a braided tippet material. Anyone tried it? Sounds pretty incredible to me. The 4X is 15 lb. Looks like Rio recommends a quadruple surgeons knot (never tied one of those) for this stuff.