Fly Fusion Forums

At Least Some Country Is Doing It Right

New Releases

New Zealand considers felt boot ban in fight against didymo

July 28, 2008

Source: Fly-Fishing Retailer

Wearing felt-soled boots by freshwater anglers could soon be banned because of the high risk of spreading didymo and other aquatic organisms.

Fish & Game New Zealand said today the ban had been discussed with Conservation Steve Minister Chadwick who agreed with it "in principle". The ban, expected to become effective from October 1, would apply to felt-soled waders or footwear with a sole of felted, matted or woven fibrous material when sports fishing.

Huh,

I just bought felt wading boots. I had no idea this was an issue. Can anybody explain how I can reduce my chances of spreading the disease? Maybe wash them in hot water or something??

Exactly Hot water bath when moving between place to place. the manufacturer of your boots probably has a website which will give you more details.

So what do we use instead? Aqua stealth? rubber and cleats?

Didymo is native to many streams here in Alberta... Clean your gear before you go to a different watershed.

I have a pair of the Cloudveil 8X stealth boots, with the rubber soles. Great boots, I use them when I fish the US.

I think I've posted this here before...

The FFF has a good page about cleaning your gear.

and http://www.fedflyfishers.org/Default.aspx?tabid=4378

There is also a good US page at http://www.protectyourwaters.net/

Wasn't there was something in the past about the ACA setting up cleaning stations at certain rivers, using license money? Or that it was suggested to the ACA, but they decided against it?

Guys,

Heard on the weekend that Sims boots with Stealth soles about sold out in the US. New Zealanders ordering them by the hundreds @ a time.

Don

Crap, was waitin' on a fall sale too

post-126-1218984342.jpg

Guest RedWiggler

Makes alot of sense they are just like big sponges that dont dry out over night. I have a pair of Korker guides and will change the soles out to the hiking tread today, thanks Don. Geez my first 6 years if fishing I wore Vans over my waders never had boots but was talked into buying them because of the grip you get from the felt soles. The grip differance was amazing but you definitely dont need them, I wore my so much that were already not gripping right after about 20 trips to the river or wherever. Its like golfing in runners, with soft spikes you dont need golf shoes anymore...that said no matter what you were you will not stop the spread of POA ANNUA.