Fly Fusion Forums

Regulations Question

nbi

Hi all

Is there anywhere that Alberta Fish and Wildlife posts their reasoning behind the regulations. Some of them don't seem to make much sense. For example- I have fished the middle section of the Highwood and caught lots of decent sized trout but I have never seen a whitefish. The regulations allow for 5 whitefish to be kept but all trout must be released. This seems backwards to me.

Matt

Hi all

Is there anywhere that Alberta Fish and Wildlife posts their reasoning behind the regulations. Some of them don't seem to make much sense. For example- I have fished the middle section of the Highwood and caught lots of decent sized trout but I have never seen a whitefish. The regulations allow for 5 whitefish to be kept but all trout must be released. This seems backwards to me.

Matt

Ya I would agree there if your only catching trout and not whiteys that sounds like its workin forsure. I'd rather have the trout then the whiteys...

There's other trout besides bulls in the Highwood. I've caught a few whitefish in the canyon section of the Highwood. I don't think that SRD needs to give an explaination for their regulations. I'm sure that the fisheries biologists know more than most folks here do about managing and preserving a fishery for future generations. I guess you'll have to fish somewhere else if you want to keep trout.

Ya I would agree there if your only catching trout and not whiteys that sounds like its workin forsure. I'd rather have the trout then the whiteys...

Red copper johns below a split shot work well for whitefish in the sheep or highwood.