Fly Fusion Forums

Going Fishing At Bow Valley Camp Ground

Any body give me a good idea of what dry fly and size the fish are taken on the upper bow. D

i just spent 2 1/2 hours this afternoon on the bow north of Calgary and had about 22 good hits (I need help from MAXX on turing more hits into hooks) landed 3 the biggest was maybe 14 inches smallest 10

Most of the hits were from small fish (kind of fun to watch these guys try and try to get the fly but either keep missing or (and) I am too slow. But they are small and it was more fun watching them frantically leaping into the air for the fly than if I had caught them - wouold have felt bad for them

I used a Geen Drake emerger (Head sort of sticks up and hook is submerged) (mid sized - i dont know he number), worked well

chnaged to a salmon fly - not bad (smallish)

last used a caddis (small) great

All dry flies use plenty of the floaty gunk

saw a number rising (tended to be rather small fish) but I have no idea what they rose to

Caught a nice Rainbow a couple of days ago - close to 40cm (sorry i use my arm for guessing adn am at the awkward age where they tried to teach us metric and imperial at the same time. Ended up not knowing either that well and not real good at converstions)

That was on a larger fly with wings - not sure what it was but it floated had a little purple tuft of hair on top and the body was yellow (I say was cause I lost it shortly afterwards)

Hope that helps

Usually on that part of the river your can be pretty sure they will hit a smaller green leech pattern and later on in the day you may see some other hatches coming off. You should be good with an Adams #12-14, leech Green/black 10-12 and some Caddis patterns , emergers etc.

have fun.

FHD