Fly Fusion Forums

Catching The Hackle When Tying Off.

Lundvike

Ok so I don't tie alot of dry flies mostly because they aren't typically my first choice to fish with. Recently I have been having a hard time with catching the hackle in the head of the fly. Some flies have antennae but not that many. Any pointers or video clips you guys could point out would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like you are bringing the ackle too far forward......also try make several locking turns of thread: alternating front of the hackle and behind the hackle....this should help some I think. Stray hackle fibres are hard to avoid but you can always trimm those back.

One little trick I picked up that helped avoid this is to put a 1/2" piece of plastic straw on your bobbin so that you can slide it up your thread and use it to hold the hackle fibers back while you tie off. Once you secure the hackle, slide the piece of straw back onto your bobbin and leave it there for the next time.

One little trick I picked up that helped avoid this is to put a 1/2" piece of plastic straw on your bobbin so that you can slide it up your thread and use it to hold the hackle fibers back while you tie off. Once you secure the hackle, slide the piece of straw back onto your bobbin and leave it there for the next time.

Cool idea i will have to give that a try as well

Guest Dennis59

What I have done is started t warp hackle back instead of ahead and tying off and there instead easier and never have to worry about stray fibers or crowding the head any more. With parachute I tie off on the post and gain no fibers in the eye. 2 simple remedies for material in eyes.

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S. :laxfisher::fish_jump:

• 1 month later...

Thanks guys I have tried all of the suggestions and it is certainly getting better but far from perfect. Aquaholic I kind of stumbled across what I think you are talking about while tying the other day. I figure if I got 2 fibers I could claim they were antennae.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing your tip. I found it works well for keeping the wing case material out of the way when tying in the thorax material too. Made tying the Pheasant Tail Nymphs for the swap easier & less frustrating.

Doc's Hint:

We all end up capturing the odd hair on the eye side of the hook. God knows my old eyes do it often enough. It certainly reduces with practice but for those odd ones after you tie off your whip finish and before head cement have a good quality pair of tweezers at hand and just pluck it out with a quick backwards pull. Tweezers for plucking eye brow hairs are perfect. Knew an old tier that did it with a heated bodkin tip for fully dressed Atlantic salmon flies.