Fly Fusion Forums

Best Flies For Trout

Hey guys,

im Terrance and i'm 14 years old and wondering, What are your top 5 dry flies and nymph and streamers. List the 1-5 best flies you fish for any trout dry flys nymph or streamers. Any ratings are good. I think people opinions will differ. I thought this might be a cool topic becasue i know my favorite fly, so what are your's. THANKS.

Ok, I'll bite. This topic is probably one of the oldest questions known to bulletin boards and maybe even covered here before you were born. (I'm kidding!) Every list of favorites depends on where you fish. I'll try to think back on the last time we fished Alberta.

Dry Flies

1. Royal Stimulator

2. Green Drake (and green drake emerger)

3. Para Hopper

4. Foam Hopper

5. Black Foam Beetle

Nymphs

1. Iron Sally

2. - 5. Iron Sally

Streamers

1. Wooly Bugger-various colors

2.-5. Double Bunny- various colors

Ok, here are my favs. I've been fishing Southern Alberta and the mountain parks for the last few years and have been thinking about fly selection way too much as I drive around western canada for work.

Dries-

1. Stimulator- big to small sizes.

2. Elk Hair Caddis- though I do like some of the other caddis patterns with the prodiment antenee, like the Goddard caddis

3. Parachute Adams

4. Foam Ant

5. Tiny, thinly dubbed body, Black Adams (size 18 ish) for a midge imitaition

Nymphs-

1. Bead Head Pheasant Tail Flashback- I've been tying them on pupa hooks with great success.

2. Evil Weevil- again I've tied some on Pupa hooks

3. Brassie- in brass, red, and black.

4. Double Bead Stone Nymph- Black, Brown, and Gold

5. Cooper John- Red and Black

Streamers-

1. Cone Head Wooly Buggers - keying in on the colour that fish like is key. Olive, Brown, Black, White are my favs.

2. Wooly Buggers- unweighted and in smaller sizes fished dead drift like a nymph.

3. Cone Head Bow River Bugger- good bull trout fly.

4. Clouser Minnow

Here are mine:

Dries

1. Elk Hair Caddis

2. Griffith's Gnat

3. Adams

4. Stimulator

5. Foam Beetle

Nymphs

1. Copper John

2. BH Hare's Ear

3. BH Prince

4. Golden Stone

5. BH Pheasant Tail

Streamers

1. Clouser

2. Bow River Bugger

3. Rabbit Strips (Not sure the actual name but man they work)

4. Magog Special

5. Wooly Bugger

I would have to come in from a completely different angle than the others. I usually find out what insect stages, or other life is in the water that the trout are feeding on, rather than just having a particular popular fly. I then try to match the life form with what I have in my fly box.

Guest Dennis59

As mention this topic has been flog to death but is alway interesting seeing the difference in fly selection . I did a presentation at Our club (Northern Lights Fly Tyers & Fisher) called the Magnifacent 7 in my oppion(only mine) with these flies you can fish anywhere in the world and catch fish. Gold Ribbed Hares Ear, Pheasent tail nymph, Prince Nymph, Adams (standard Or parachute) Light Cahill, Elk Hair Caddis, Last and not least Wolly Bugger.

Now that said My go to fly is a Chrynoble ant (tan) Then I have may own Creation(at least I would like to think its my own) what I call a Llama leech with red tungsten bead. This fly has caught many different speices of fish here in alberta. Both rivers and Lakes. Also like the Parachute adams and the PTN & Prince Nymph.

I've also started fishing with Soft hackles which a alot of the patterns just mention can be tied that way and work just as good.

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S :fish_jump:

I would have to come in from a completely different angle than the others. I usually find out what insect stages, or other life is in the water that the trout are feeding on, rather than just having a particular popular fly. I then try to match the life form with what I have in my fly box.

Yeah I do this too but when I'm lazy I go to my fav 5 of each. Listen to SilverDoctor, much better approach than my laziness.

For me my favourite flies are the ones that I've come up with. The one I'm most proud of I call "my-winter-fly". I spent a lot of time trying color combos and size combos until I came up with something that works like a hot damn Nov. through March. I find it's alot more satifying than using commercial flies....