Fly Fusion Forums

Finally!

I finally found some fish this weekend! Did a lot of traveling between the Oldman, Lower Bow, Banff and Jumpingpound but it was well worth it. Even though fishing was slow, it was great to be out in some beautiful country, I love it up here! So here's a few newbie questions for you guys;

1. There were a ton of people camping along the Livingstone and Oldman in non-designated areas. Is this legal? Most of them seemed to be off-roaders with quads and motorcycles.

2. We found some really neat areas on the Jumpingpound with sweepers and deep pools but no fish. Does the fishing pick-up closer to Cochrane? There also seemed to be a lot of road construction in the area which may have adversely affected the fish.

3. I think I remember reading something about access points on the Jumpingpound a few months ago. Is it legal to cross a barbed wire fence that's strung across the river?

4. We fished the Spray near the Banff Springs Fairmont. The river seemed very sterile, minimal structure and no sign of active fish. Here again, is it better up around towards the lake?

Thanks!

djk

Sounds like a great trip. I think I can help you out a couple of you're questions. Unless the rainbows from the Bow are still in the creek, there seems to be very poor fishing on the Jumpingpound. I've personally never known anyone who did well there. That said, someone out there probably considers it the greatest fishery in the province. Barbed wire across the stream is meant to keep cows from wandering up or down the creek. Some ranchers will get bitchy on you, but as long as you leagally accessed the stream and stay within in the highwater makrs, you're okay. I haven't fished the Spray much, but is's probably like a lot of mountains streams. You have to cover a lot of distance looking for the good water, but when you find it the fish are there in good numbers. The top of the Spray, above Spray Lake can be accessed from Mt Shark trailhead in Kananaskis. It's a fair jaunt though, so be prepared. Good job on the first fish.

2. We found some really neat areas on the Jumpingpound with sweepers and deep pools but no fish. Does the fishing pick-up closer to Cochrane? There also seemed to be a lot of road construction in the area which may have adversely affected the fish.

3. I think I remember reading something about access points on the Jumpingpound a few months ago. Is it legal to cross a barbed wire fence that's strung across the river?

Thanks!

djk

I can help you out on these 2 points. Jumpingpound is very hit and miss. Sometimes it's great other days nothing. It doesn't get any better near Cochrane and in fact the access gets worse.

As for the access that fence is only there for cows/horses as already mentioned. Stay in the high water mark. This stream is notorious for grumpy land owners and my advice is go to another stream. It just isn't worth the hassle for a couple of small trout and the difficult access, etc.

I may be incorrect, but I have heard that Jumpingpound creek is unique from all other streams in Canada due to the fact that the land owners actually own the rights to the stream bed itself. The land has been owned since the 19th century and you need permission just to fish it. Has anyone else heard this?

Fish-pro: I have also heard that. From what I have heard it is the only situation in the province where the land claims remain in the family that had the claim prior to the Dominion of Canada and therefore has different rules.

It is a Federal Waterway, as are all rivers in this country. They may own Riperean Rights, but cannot stop passage below the high water mark. IMO, which is by no means expert on the legalities of the subject.

Big Congrats to Dank for his first on the fly.