Fly Fusion Forums

Bears In Livingstone Area

Take care folks! Just got back from camping at Km 45 on the Livingstone. We spent the week watching a black bear "grazing" on the high grassy slopes on the east side of the river directly across from the pull off camping spot. Then Tues night while watching "our" bear we saw another one on the slopes further to the north across from Km 46. Then this morning as we were packing up camp we spotted a small grizzly on the slope the black bear had been on. What was a little unnerving was instead of staying up on the slope it headed rather quickly down into the trees heading down to the river. Don't know where it headed as we were packed and left the area.

Livingstone - Two weekends ago we had a Griz watching us from a high bank across the river. there were other reports that a mom and cubs were seen in the area the next day, Plus I came across very fresh (<3hours) tracks on the river bank in some fine gravel on the third day.

Tonnes O bears this year with the cool weather and all? Keep your wits about ya for sure

Whats the big deal?......bear scratchin' thin out the crowds

Thats funny, I always figured with all the cows out there, the bears would be unwelcome by the ranchers... Thanks for the headsup.

I was fishing the Livingstone last week and it was crazy, I must have scene about 15 other fishermen when fishing. Three years ago I fished the exact same spot many times, and saw no one. Unfortunately people aren't being responsible and continue to leave all sorts of garbage in the forest and near the river. Most the fish I caught were disfigured - you know missing eyes lips, scratched etc.

Still a beautiful river but I don't know how much more pressure it can handle...

Imagine my surprise when I read that there are bears in the wilderness! From now on the only place I am going to fish is in downtown Calgary ..right next to the zoo... where I know that the only bears around are locked up!LOL.

Imagine my surprise when I read that there are bears in the wilderness! From now on the only place I am going to fish is in downtown Calgary ..right next to the zoo... where I know that the only bears around are locked up!LOL.

I'd rather run into the bears than some of the crackerheads downtown :)

I once saw two bears while fishing the Bow downstream of the Elbow confluence and on the zoo side of the river.

It was two bear naked individuals making a baby. While this may sound like a lucky encounter, the hairy, white, pimpley, zitty butt was not a pleasant encounter and grossed me out enough that I SHOUTED my displeasure to the two Bears.

Be carefule out there!

I have been heading into bear country for most of my 50 + years... and in all of that time that was the closest I have been to a grizzly. And for the 20 some years that I have been in the Oldman watershed that was the most bears I have ever seen. Talking to a retired forestry worker who was on Dutch Ck he said that there seemed to be more bears down low this year. All I was trying to do was to give people a heads up. Not suggesting that people stay home. I do believe that some people become a little too complacent with bears. All bears, especially grizzlies are unpredictable.

Encountered a smallish grizzly or a cinnamon black bear, didn't get a close look, on the Oldman last weekend. Seemed that he was more afraid of me than I was of him. That being said I got checked by a CO and he said there are a lot of bears down in the valleys this summer, because the wet spring has delayed or curtailed the berry crop up high and also produced a bumper crop of saskatoons and other low altitude berries. Be bear aware.

Guest RedWiggler
I once saw two bears while fishing the Bow downstream of the Elbow confluence and on the zoo side of the river.

It was two bear naked individuals making a baby. While this may sound like a lucky encounter, the hairy, white, pimpley, zitty butt was not a pleasant encounter and grossed me out enough that I SHOUTED my displeasure to the two Bears.

Be carefule out there!

You must have taken a pretty good look at that guys ass to have such vivid description......white, hairy, pimply, zitty. :peesout: