Fly Fusion Forums

Some Really Good Stuff - Berkley Vanish

Just wanted to share my opinion of Berkley's Vanish fluorocarbon lines. Been using this stuff for two years as tippet and can honestly say its the best tippet I have ever used. It's cheap, super strong, super straight, very transparent in water, knots tie strong and tight.

If your a Duncan loop guy, and have never used this stuff you are missing out! You can adjust the loop easily to just above the hook eye every time without a single kink or wave in the line. Simply amazing.

Anyone else using this stuff?

Link to it here

i bought some years ago at canadian tire 6lb was cheap only got to use it for 1 season ,a friend of mine stole it to fill up his spin cast reel. ihad forgot about that ,thanks for the reminder will have to pick up some more .

I found that when I tied Vanish to a regular mono leader, I got a lot of breakage at the knot. I used a triple surgeon's knot and it appeared the floro cut thru the mono.

Regards Mike

That sucks, I have to admit. I use barrel knots and they seem to work fine.

Doesn't tie worth a damn, half the tensile strength of Maxima, doesn't fish any better. I personally think flouro is a gimmick. I see no real improvement in catch rate when using the stuff, and I go through a *hit-ton of leader. Barring some unfathomable change in design, I will use Maxima Ultragreen until the day I hang up my rods (ie: die)

I use Berkley transition (it's gold out of the water). I find I can use 10lb test for all my lake fishing with this gimmicky fluorocarbon. It always breaks after a hundred fish or so. I just attach it to the mono with a simple cinch knot, but that's the only knot I've ever needed for leaders. Maybe some day I'll get more fancy with my knots, but I haven't seen a need for it yet.

I use Berkley transition (it's gold out of the water). I find I can use 10lb test for all my lake fishing with this gimmicky fluorocarbon. It always breaks after a hundred fish or so. I just attach it to the mono with a simple cinch knot, but that's the only knot I've ever needed for leaders. Maybe some day I'll get more fancy with my knots, but I haven't seen a need for it yet.

Great reply....couldn't agree with you more on both fluorocarbon and knots!!!!!

I got turned onto "P Line" floro coated....Love it!!...I mostly use the 6 and 8lb...Has never broke on a fish, and tuff as nails....handles the Bulls like a hot damn....

300 yards for about 16 bucks....

I'm sold...Jeff..

Anyone else using this stuff?

I have Vanish 10# and P-Line 6#. I like the vanish a bit better as I think it ties better knots, but that could just be the difference in diameter between the 10 and 6.

I've been using it for years in saltwater, but more in the 12 and 15 lb class.

Love it, have for years. Not a bad gimmick.

Sounds like everybody has had better luck with floro than me. The other thing about floro that bothers me is it's indestructible. Bits and pieces of this stuff are going to be littering our waters for generations and I'm not sure it's benefits outweigh this problem.

Regards Mike

Sounds like everybody has had better luck with floro than me. The other thing about floro that bothers me is it's indestructible. Bits and pieces of this stuff are going to be littering our waters for generations and I'm not sure it's benefits outweigh this problem.

Regards Mike

Mike,

Do you mean from an environmental standpoint or knot standpoint? If you mean environmental, mono takes 600 yrs (very quick internet research) to degrade. So in any real sense, is essentially biodegradable as well. Every piece of mono that has been lost in the water is still there (unless someone was building in 700 yrs ago, unlikely I think). No different than fluoro.

Mike,

Do you mean from an environmental standpoint or knot standpoint? If you mean environmental, mono takes 600 yrs (very quick internet research) to degrade. So in any real sense, is essentially biodegradable as well. Every piece of mono that has been lost in the water is still there (unless someone was building in 700 yrs ago, unlikely I think). No different than fluoro.

Hi Rick,

I did a search on mono and you are correct, mono takes up to 600yrs to decompose. Couldn't find anything on floro but I imagine its the same. I guess it's back to horsehair and gut if you want to make a difference.

Regards Mike

Guest JayVee

Just for comparison:

Frog Hair FC = $0.56/yd ($15 for a 25 m spool of 8lb) **25m ~ 27 yd

Berkley Vanish = $0.05/yd ($5.79 for a 110 yd spool of 8lb)