Fly Fusion Forums

Fish Killing Ads At Ffc

Dave:

Man, this is going to sound super bitchy. I don't even want to know the headaches you have with running a site like this. It costs time and money and you have to advertise. We all appreciate your efforts and the site is a handy recreation. Thanks.

There's an ad at the bottom of the home page that seems in conflict with conservation efforts of many fly anglers, TUC and Walleye Unlimited. None of us mind the concept of catching a lot of fish, but the ad goes way too far in suggesting "Bag a freezer full of walleye every time ..."

Man the BS we had to go through with "whack and stackers" to get the Police Outpost regs changed. (They are a long way from being a done deal.) Killing fish is considered a right by many ... and screw conservation. As one biologist says, "Yeah so they can throw out freezer-burned fish in six months."

I think this should be brought up with the advertiser and the wording changed.

Cheers!

Clive

walleye.jpg

lol yeah you know I kinda had to smirk at that one myself ,can't help but wonder if it would have been how to bag a freezer full of trout if more people would have taken notice sooner :)

and no I am not knocking anyone either I think you guys are doing a great job its just one of those things that make you go hhhhmmmmmmm?

"...does it really affect us here?"

IMHO, indirectly, yes, by promoting unsustainable harvest of a precious resource. The wording is simply wrong.

I've nothing against whacking some fish now and then. But it is not acceptable to promote concepts such as in this ad. I was on the sidelines during the Police Outpost efforts and you would not believe the BS we heard about people's right to kill trout at will.

Have a read at DBT's post titled, "Stupidity."

Yes, this affects us all.

I can have pacres look into it. He handles the adverts. However I wish I had some walleye in my freezer right now. Man the good ol days.

I remember when the limit in N. Manitoba was like 8 a piece. Then after the years the fishery went to *hit. Now, nobody fishes those lakes any more and the fishery is awesome once again. Just goes to show a bit of regulations do their job.

It's something we can block. That ad in particular is server by a third party based on content. Feel free to PM me if you find any objectionable ad content. Just be sure to include the site URL it leads to so I can block it if needed, and a pic like you did helps.

Thanks for pointing it out Clive.

Thanks guys. Maybe a picky point ...

To be pickier...a "freezer full" would also be illegal in all jurisdictions -- so it is really way off base. No different than an ad that said a "freezer full" of bull trout.

"Yes....[can't] eat shellfish" And trout and salmon and most of not all forms of seafood and fish ... protein intolerance ... same for eggs as well. Bummer. Literally. :)

Thanks guys. Maybe a picky point ...

To be pickier...a "freezer full" would also be illegal in all jurisdictions -- so it is really way off base. No different than an ad that said a "freezer full" of bull trout.

"Yes....[can't] eat shellfish" And trout and salmon and most of not all forms of seafood and fish ... protein intolerance ... same for eggs as well. Bummer. Literally. :)

Hey even superman had kryptonite.

Gravelman:

Got to put in my 2 cents here in supporting Clive's point. Unquestionably it affects us, for all the reasons previously mentioned. And, as pointed out, would this have provoked the same lukewarm reaction if had advocated killing a bunch of trout? A rather astute observation there IMO. How about "Take home your limit everyday from the Oldman river, using my ninja secret deadly nymphing technique?"

My point is that we love to congregate here to share our passion/addiction to flyfishing; and that's mostly flyfishing for trout (but pike too).

But if we're indifferent to issues related to other sportfish that generally aren't targeted by us (ie walleye) how can we expect support for our "pet" causes?

Sometimes there is too much divisiveness even amongst us fishermen, fly or spin.

Smitty