Fly Fusion Forums

How Do You React When You Lose A Fish?

I hate losing fish on a knot. Drives me nuts that there is a fish that is suffering with a hook in it's mouth ( and perhaps a dropper dragging) because I didn't tie my knots right.

My best stories are the ones about the fish that got away!

It's not often I read a long thread right to the end, but you guys are keeping me entertained!

Some of the fish I remember best are big ones I have lost. One in particular stands out. On the Bow I hooked a monster in the late evening on a caddis. I guess I wasn't really expecting the strike, thinking that there were a million caddis on the surface, why would he ever grab mine? But he did. And he was gone really fast before I even got a proper look. But I felt the old primal tug and it was stronger than usual. Then I saw and heard the splash! No doubt -- this was a serious fish. My partner only saw it happen out of the corner of his eye too, but he commented "There was some serious water displacement."

No, I never caught the fish -- he broke off my 4x tippet -- didn't even get a good look, but I'll remember him...

I usually laugh, I remember hooking a nice rainbow on the Bow just as I was stripping line off. The fihs was literally at me feet, it surprised me so much all I could do was laugh. When a fish hits your fly and you lose the fish it's all part of the fun.

OK, so I got to test out the "don't sweat it if you loose a fish" methodology this morning. Hooked three, 1 for about a second and lost the other two to some submerged lumber near the bank after lengthy fights. Got pretty good looks at both, didn't see what they were on, one around 16 and the other 18+, both rainbows. The 18 had a couple of reel screaming runs. I was happy with both hooksets and really happy with the way I fought the bigger fish, just unlucky. So how did it feel? I didn't like it, but I didn't swear once, or at least out loud! It did make for a very fun morning. So the real question is, better to hook three with none to hand or hook one and touch him? I'll take the three, but barely.

OK, so I got to test out the "don't sweat it if you loose a fish" methodology this morning. Hooked three, 1 for about a second and lost the other two to some submerged lumber near the bank after lengthy fights. Got pretty good looks at both, didn't see what they were on, one around 16 and the other 18+, both rainbows. The 18 had a couple of reel screaming runs. I was happy with both hooksets and really happy with the way I fought the bigger fish, just unlucky. So how did it feel? I didn't like it, but I didn't swear once, or at least out loud! It did make for a very fun morning. So the real question is, better to hook three with none to hand or hook one and touch him? I'll take the three, but barely.

Didn't swear once? Wow! Next thing you know, you're gonna be getting all polite-like, & saying "How's it goin', eh?"

OMG, you're turning into a Canadian! Quick, blow something up before it's too late to stop the transformation!

Seriously, getting to play with a couple nice trout is a great start to your day-beats the heck outta sleeping in!

Good on ya!

Didn't swear once? Wow! Next thing you know, you're gonna be getting all polite-like, & saying "How's it goin', eh?"

OMG, you're turning into a Canadian! Quick, blow something up before it's too late to stop the transformation!

Seriously, getting to play with a couple nice trout is a great start to your day-beats the heck outta sleeping in!

Good on ya!

Holy moly, you're (did you catch that weedy?) right! I missed the 4th of July and M80s. I need to go to the field and steal a perforating gun. Anyone have a tree they don't need anymore? I could knock it down quick!

Holy moly, you're (did you catch that weedy?) right! I missed the 4th of July and M80s. I need to go to the field and steal a perforating gun. Anyone have a tree they don't need anymore? I could knock it down quick!

I caught that alright. I have 4 trees in my backyard in need of disposal. You can have at them only on the understanding you disintegrate them and leave the surrounding homes intact. Four shots only, I know how you Americans can get a little carried away when you have a weapon in hand. I'll send you my GPS coordinates. I'm sure you, as most Americans, have some sort of small weapon lying around the house that can reach Edmonton from Calgary. :wacko:

As for losing fish I find it usually tends to get me more pumped up about catching another one. The times I get upset is when I have made an error either by mistake or on purpose while bringing one in. For example, I gave the largest fish I had on this year a little slack hoping it wouldn't wrap around my front anchor line. Well as soon as I did that the show was over. If it had just snapped me off due to shear power I wouldn't have been disappointed at all but when I do something I know I shoudn't be doing I guess I have to kick myself a bit for it.

I caught that alright. I have 4 trees in my backyard in need of disposal. You can have at them only on the understanding you disintegrate them and leave the surrounding homes intact. Four shots only, I know how you Americans can get a little carried away when you have a weapon in hand. I'll send you my GPS coordinates. I'm sure you, as most Americans, have some sort of small weapon lying around the house that can reach Edmonton from Calgary. :wacko:

Can I try for two shots. Two at a time sounds cool to me. However, there could be additional line of fire issues to consider. Are the houses expensive? Just how close is "surrounding".

Can I try for two shots. Two at a time sounds cool to me. However, there could be additional line of fire issues to consider. Are the houses expensive? Just how close is "surrounding".

Ok, I tell you what, you can have two shots only if you dial in a little north from the coordinates I give you on the first try. I've been trying to get rid of that pesky neighbor of mine for a while. All other houses are out. Don't worry about the home prices, there all over priced anyways.

I love rickr's description of the intensity of flycasting. I did a trip for salmon to Prince Rupert and a fly-in trip to northern Ontario for walleye and pike in the past few weeks. While they were enjoyable with lots of fish to the boat (and meat into the cooler) it seemed something was missing and rickr's description nailed it. Trolling blindly with lures and bait does not hold a candle to trying to "hit the spot" with a the fly while managing in mid cast where your line will fall. I guess the challenge for the trollers is in boat control.

Well, I really put my "never get upset when I lose a fish" deal to the test yesterday. Had a couple hours free time, so headed to a small

river south of the city for a few fish in the after noon. Between my bro & myself, we caught a bunch of smallish bows, one small bull, &

a bunch of big whites. After missing a few fish where it felt like I got a good solid hookset, I sharpened my hooks- didn't make any

difference; I might have got one fish per five hooksets. Several jumped & came off; one got into the wood; several just came unbuttoned within

seconds; a few more almost came to hand before saying "See ya!". Many of those came on the swing of a nymph, where you're basically

pulling the hook away from fish- not surprised to miss some of those. Never felt like I did much wrong on most- can't beat yourself up over

a bit of bad luck. Really enjoyed the beautiful, healthy fish I did catch- even the hawg whitie with the fugly, upturned snout; so solid, I thought

I was snagged at first- then he started peeling line! All in all, a great couple hours- and, no, I NEVER got pissed about losing any fish.

=Bob Loblaw-

I never found losing a fish all that upsetting - maybe thats a side effect of fishing alone most of the time. I find that letting a fish, especially little dudes, shake out a hook is something I do often .I find myself doing this lately when I am wearing my crocs, only takes a few seconds for the feet to numb up so avoiding stepping into the water if possible is nice for the feet sometimes.

For me angling is about disconnecting from everyday life and enjoying myself in a stress-free environment, getting angry would defeat the purpose of being out there in so many ways.

Like most anglers, I imagine a few things will always get my goat to some degree - windknotting the snot out of a brand new leader on the first cast - forgetting the box which has the only fly fish are taking - catching part of my spey line under a rock in the friggin middle of a swollen and fast river - the kinda stuff that makes you swear at yourself LOL but doesn't mean anything more than a muttered curse and a shake of the head before getting back at er.

Hey Bob - isn't catching a whitey kind of like dancing with ugly girls LOL - ^_^ I say life is too short NOT to dance with the ugly girls ! - hell if I only fished for Golden trout I'd barely ever catch a fish ;)

I never found losing a fish all that upsetting - maybe thats a side effect of fishing alone most of the time. I find that letting a fish, especially little dudes, shake out a hook is something I do often .I find myself doing this lately when I am wearing my crocs, only takes a few seconds for the feet to numb up so avoiding stepping into the water if possible is nice for the feet sometimes.

For me angling is about disconnecting from everyday life and enjoying myself in a stress-free environment, getting angry would defeat the purpose of being out there in so many ways.

Like most anglers, I imagine a few things will always get my goat to some degree - windknotting the snot out of a brand new leader on the first cast - forgetting the box which has the only fly fish are taking - catching part of my spey line under a rock in the friggin middle of a swollen and fast river - the kinda stuff that makes you swear at yourself LOL but doesn't mean anything more than a muttered curse and a shake of the head before getting back at er.

Hey Bob - isn't catching a whitey kind of like dancing with ugly girls LOL - ^_^ I say life is too short NOT to dance with the ugly girls ! - hell if I only fished for Golden trout I'd barely ever catch a fish ;)

Ugly girls are sometimes REALLY, REALLY grateful that you asked them to dance, if you catch my drift! (So I've heard, anyhoo!)