Fly Fusion Forums

Southern Alberta Flyfishing Spot

Hey, I was just discussing this with a friend yesterday. The Waiperous area has some excellent quadding and camping as well as some descent fishing. I think there are several small lakes that might be stocked. Just be sure to stay on the designated ATV trails and I'm sure everyone will be happy. Good Luck.

used to be no quadding and excellent fishing. coincidence?

still remember one day at the liv. I headed downstream from the campground and came a cross a woman standing in the middle of the river trying to keep her kids atv from washing downstream. dummy was riding right up the middle and got stuck. She was damn near blue as she was only wearing shorts and sandals and had been standing there for quite some time. i waded in and helped her pull it out. She then told me she was surprised it happened as the entire family rode up and down the middle of the river all the time. Wanted to toss it and her back in but didnt want to litter. 90 % of quaders/off roaders destroy habitat in pursuit of "fun" . doesnt really matter how responsible the other 10 % are

used to be no quadding and excellent fishing. coincidence?

still remember one day at the liv. I headed downstream from the campground and came a cross a woman standing in the middle of the river trying to keep her kids atv from washing downstream. dummy was riding right up the middle and got stuck. She was damn near blue as she was only wearing shorts and sandals and had been standing there for quite some time. i waded in and helped her pull it out. She then told me she was surprised it happened as the entire family rode up and down the middle of the river all the time. Wanted to toss it and her back in but didnt want to litter. 90 % of quaders/off roaders destroy habitat in pursuit of "fun" . doesnt really matter how responsible the other 10 % are

Wow, remember when North America was only inhabited by it's own native peoples. I bet the fishing was really good back then. You can't have every little stream, lake and river to yourself. You should be happy with the world class fishery that we have here in Alberta. Oh by the way, have you ever driven a car? Or does yours run on your own hot air? Have you ever dropped a split shot into a river and been unable to pick it up? I hear lead is really good for the environment.

This is the reason i rarely post on this forum. Here is someone who was looking for some honest advice and i gave it to them. I never gave my opinion whether or not i agreed with what they were doing. I simply responded to the best of my knowledge.

Yak, That must have been quite a sight and probably makes for a pretty good story. But if you feel that strongly about it, why not bring it up in a new post, You could call it "The ATV's suck, not fishing advice post". Next time, before you get all high and mighty on us. Maybe you could look to see why the topic was posted in the first place and then decide if we all deserve a morality lesson.

100% of fishermen kill some fish in their pursuit of fun.

And I would question the 90/10 ratio.

you can compare apples to oranges all you want but head out to the liv. valley after a may long weekend and tell me if the actual percentages really matter. agree with hawgstoppah. they have already destroyed waiprous so why not designate this area and this area only for future destruction/"fun". if they ever petition for a ban on these bloody things in the liv. valley I will run to add my signature. guys bitch about poachers and jet boats all the time, but they are a drop in the bucket compared to the damage done to alberta fisheries by the majority of offroaders. definitley not trying to paint all quadders with the same brush but have seen enough in my lifetime to aquire a real distaste for them

Wow, remember when North America was only inhabited by it's own native peoples. I bet the fishing was really good back then. You can't have every little stream, lake and river to yourself. You should be happy with the world class fishery that we have here in Alberta. Oh by the way, have you ever driven a car? Or does yours run on your own hot air? Have you ever dropped a split shot into a river and been unable to pick it up? I hear lead is really good for the environment.

This is the reason i rarely post on this forum. Here is someone who was looking for some honest advice and i gave it to them. I never gave my opinion whether or not i agreed with what they were doing. I simply responded to the best of my knowledge.

Yak, That must have been quite a sight and probably makes for a pretty good story. But if you feel that strongly about it, why not bring it up in a new post, You could call it "The ATV's suck, not fishing advice post". Next time, before you get all high and mighty on us. Maybe you could look to see why the topic was posted in the first place and then decide if we all deserve a morality lesson.

I added my 2 cents long after the post became anti quads. u obviuosly dont have a problem with the ongoing destruction caused by these off road enthusiasts so theres little point debating this with you.

I added my 2 cents long after the post became anti quads. u obviuosly dont have a problem with the ongoing destruction caused by these off road enthusiasts so theres little point debating this with you.

Yak, you must have some crazy Jedi mind powers or a really good crystal ball. But i don't ever recall saying i didn't have a problem with destruction caused by ATV's. Thanks for making my point even clearer.

I'm pretty much done with this, because it is really pointless and way off topic. But fun!

But I do have one final question, just to change gears once again. Cuz there is little chance of this ever getting back to the original topic.But one final shot:

u obviuosly dont have a problem with the ongoing destruction caused by these off road enthusiasts so theres little point debating this with you.

How fun/informative is it to debate someone who has the same opinion as you? Wouldn't it be rather boring?

we should run betting pools on these threads

ie...

how many posts before it is off topic

how many post till it gets shutdown

how many posts before some one throws up some sort of flame based pic/emot

bet some money could be made

these are after all the virtual equivilent of a cock fight.

we should run betting pools on these threads

ie...

how many posts before it is off topic

how many post till it gets shutdown

how many posts before some one throws up some sort of flame based pic/emot

bet some money could be made

these are after all the virtual equivilent of a cock fight.

Teck,

Try to stay on topic please.

Sorry,

guys where your asking if you see water stop you'll find fish, and if your going to quad please quad resposibly and stay on marked approved trails

There we go a nice polite post that both give the info and expresses my concern.

That better Rick

Damn I should of been a politian but alas my folks raised me honest

Well, if preferring a fishing environment that isn't chewed up by ATV's and littered with their beercans makes me an elitist, then yes. The degradation happens way too often and in too many places to be called isolated incidents.

What's wrong with walking, people? Are you handicapped or just lazy?? My apologies if you are the former, but so far in my travels fishing I've only seen the latter.

Holy cow, a dozen new entries since I started writing this reply. Doesn't anybody work?

I ATV for sport and love doing it. I stay on all trails, only cross streams with bridges and pick up beer cans when I see em. Does this make me a bad person? I for one have seen just about every creek in the Mclean area and they are all FULL of trout. Now there are probably more people that abuse their rights out there than the legal folk like me. What I think they should do is have people buy permits to go offroading in that area or other areas for that matter. 50 bucks a year or so and 150 for violators who don't have their stamp. This would raise funds for damages done and help to rebuild. Now I heard they were working on trails out there as well to make it better so people don't have to go through the bush to go around "the bad spots"

Anyway, there are other hobbies out there than fly fishing. I race my bike on the track, drive a big SUV because I need it, and go ATV'n. This does not make me a bad person, but ............................This is one man's opinion.