Fly Fusion Forums

Best Father's Day Gift Ever

Holy crap. My wife got me a bamboo rod! I never saw that one coming in a million years. It's got an old antique reel and even the ancient fly line (I think it's a silk line). It's on the way in my den now. It's got no label or line weights or anything, so I am guessing it's home made, but is there any way to put a value on a rod like this? :wave_smile:

Sweet. I started using an old 'blue collar' boo last season for dry flying. They typically aren't worth much ($20-100) but they perform well (I have yet to cast good boo). If it is really homemade, the quality might be much better, and you might have a gem there.

If the line is in good shape, it may be worth more than the rod. New silk lines go for a few hundred bucks now.

Get some info from the forum mentioned about getting this rod up to fishing shape and about upkeep etc. I wouldn't worry about how much it is worth. It's not like you are going to sell it.

That's awesome Brian! You can't put a price on a gift like that (well you can, but not the sentimentality of it). I've been looking for the same type of thing for Mike for a few years now. But something just to hang on the wall above his fly tying desk - real real vintage. Or maybe his brother's T&T with the Hardy reel that he's nary used but once. I'd settle for that. But I don't think it'd be a wall hanger!