Fly Fusion Forums

Vises

Shuck

A vise is a pretty personal thing, and everyone seems to lean towards one or another. The best suggestion is to try a variety and see which one you like best. I've tied on pretty much everything out there and now tie on a Griffin Montana Mongoose. I've tried the Nor-vise and it didn't work well with my style of tying. I've got an HMH standard pro as well that is a decent vise, but without a full rotary feature, it's only used for a few demos every year. Auto Bobbins are great, and while they are a bit expensive up front, they are awesome to tie with. I've got a Ekich Bobbin and would replace it tomorrow if it broke. It holds the standard spools, so you don't need to wind your thread onto a propietery spool.

If there is a Flies and Beer meeting or a club near to you, it's a good chance to try out some vises.

Thanks guys. I've always wanted an auto bobbin but never liked the idea of having to spool the thread onto $$$ custom spools. But man, those are more expensive then some vises. Its going on my x-mas list, for sure.

Ceramic insert the better of the two? Trout or salmon sized?

I have a Nor-vise and I love it. Solid tool.

I use the Nor auto-bobbin. It is great as well. Having separate spools is a bit of a pain, and it evens the cost with the Ekich. The Nor has a lifetime warrantee, though. Ekich is just one year.

I have a Nor-vise and I love it. Solid tool.

I use the Nor auto-bobbin. It is great as well. Having separate spools is a bit of a pain, and it evens the cost with the Ekich. The Nor has a lifetime warrantee, though. Ekich is just one year.

I had a very small problem with one of my Nor auto-bobbins , Ed phoned me and sent me a part very quickly. This was 3 years after purchase. Excellent service for an great vice and a lot of accessories. Fantastic tube attachment also.