Fly Fusion Forums

Fly Fishing On Saturday

Hi I'm new to fly fishing this year, I went out a few times last year on the bow. This year I bought a rod and reel and I'm ready to head out on my own this year. I was planning on heading out on saturday to a lake. Dose anybody have any suggestion on where I should head out this weekend, I live in Calgary. Also what type of flies should I use on the lake, thanks for your help

Just a few points to clarify before I or anyone else for that matter, can give you some enlightenment. What species of fish are you going after? How far do you want to drive? What kind of vehicle are you driving? In case the road is rough you want a truck at the least. Are you fishing from shore or do you have a boat?

You can look through the "Calgary Still-waters" sub-forum, on this site. I'm new, like you, (& I'm also a poet), so I can't recommend any lake/ponds yet. Some of the lakes are private near Calgary, Like policeman's outpost is private (I think), but I could very well be wrong about that.

There are tons of places to fish, so like TH said, you'll need to be more specific.

I was thinking of going to the Kananaskis lakes (upper and lower), since its not too far and has some nice lakers in there, so I've heard. Plus fishing in the mountains is something I know I'd enjoy.

You can fish from shore at most places, yet a pontoon boat, or float tube can make you much more effective. Plus I'd think its much easier and more comfortable. I wonder if you can rent toon boat? Might be worth it.

As for flies, I usually see people using small midges, micro leeches, wolly bugger variations, and dry flies when the hatch is on. You can use float line with weight, but sink-tip and full sink lines are in every serious stillwater anglers backpack.

You'll want to fish steep drop-offs, with very slow retrieves compared to river retrieves. A common retrieve is to use your hand to fold your line around, which should give you an idea of the retrieve speed. The edges of weed-beds are other places to fish, and depending on the lake your on, you might be able to sight fish some unsuspecting trout resting near the bank. I can't wait to do that, all hunched over, whispering "do you see him"?. lol

You might also want to post a thread in the "Fishing Get Togethers" and see if you can find someone to bring who can teach you a thing or two. Just a thought. Also if your heading west, remember its bear country.

Good luck!

Just to set the name straight Playdoh it's Police Outpost Provincial Park. The lake is called Police Lake or Outpost Lake, or Police Outpost Lake ..it depends on who you talk to :rolleyes: The southern part of the lake..including the island is in a Provincial Park and the northern part is on private land. There it is clear as mud. ;)

Sorry guys I should have put down more info, not too far of a drive from calgary 3hours max, I want to try fishing from the shore, but I could get a belly boat or pontoon. I have a 4x4 suv so I can take on the rough roads. Don't really care about what type of fish, just as long as I catch some. Thanks Guys

For some good fun go to wedge pond. Get some #18-22 bead head chironomids in red with silver ribs. Go to wedge pond. Set up a double nymph rig. Cast out about 10-15 feet from shore and wait til the grayling circle. They cruise by every so often and when they do you can see them hit your gear. A lot of fun. They are good fighters too. Ohhh fish under an indicator with your first fly being about 2ft from the indicator.

Just go south on highway 40 (kananaskis trail) until you see wedge pond on the left hand side of the road.

What Dave said, and you can do the same at Quarry Lake across from the Nordic Center up from Canmore. Or try the same at Buller Pond. There are a lot of lakes that have stocked fish where you fish chronomids/leeches under an indicator. Good luck