Fly Fusion Forums

2007 Fishing Enforcement Stats

These stats surprise me alot, I've never seen a copy. It kind of annoys me that so many people get warnings, whats up with that? These stats won't help more people get involved by calling in rule-breakers. In 261 cases, 93 people were given a warning because they were using bait illegally? You always hear how that fish and wildlife are underfunded, maybe they need to start enforcing the penalties strictly. I understand that in some cases the infractions are not serious and maybe I'm a bit naive, but this looks bad.

I've never been given a warning in a driving infraction, though I'm sure they happen, but if I don't have a licence on me when fishing I have a 70% chance of coming off with a warning? There must be something its not showing, like maybe they had a WIN card and only got a warning. It looks like about 35% of people who are using bait illegally are getting off with a warning as well.

I can count on one hand how many times I've been asked to show a licence. I could have been poaching for years by now and, unless someone had reported me, I could have gotten away with alot. If that isn't bad enough, maybe I only come off with a warning the next time I get caught. Maybe it isn't worth their time to prosecute?

Guest Sundancefisher
I thought some of you might be interested in the stats put out by Alberta Fish and Wildlife regarding fishing enforcement last year. Check the link.

http://www.srd.gov.ab.ca/fishwildlife/fish...ummary_2007.pdf

The warning show a complete lack of intelligence of fish and wildlife officers. If a person has no licence...what brains does it take to say ticket them? If they forgot it...have them produce or get the ticket.

Just curious as to what extremes a CO in Alberta can go to? I've heard of stories back home in Nova Scotia where guys who were netting running fish for lobster bait have had their vehicles seized.

The warning show a complete lack of intelligence of fish and wildlife officers. If a person has no licence...what brains does it take to say ticket them? If they forgot it...have them produce or get the ticket.

If they write them a ticket how do they get the fines or does that involve another CO chasing them down for the cash? Face it, in the grand scheme of things fishing without a license is a minor offense (similar to J-walking?). Its good to see they are out here checking folks, their presence on the water is much more important than any fines they may generate.

My only real concern would be the warnings handed out for fishing in closed waters, and illegal bait use. Also note the number of warning compared to actual fines for exceeding daily limits, I think we need to look at this from a point of whats better for the fisheries instead of what generates more revenue.

Just my opinion

Colin

It seems to me that there has to be some type of directive where fishing has a low priority in the scheme of things as far as the government is concerned these days. I remember years ago fishing a lake west of Edmonton and the friend I was with forgot his license at home. The officer that came by confiscated all our equipment, mine too, and we had to go back to Stony Plain with his license to get our gear. Now it seems they are way slacker and the cost of a license has got to be the lowest in the country. I talked with an older gentleman from Sparwood on my last trip and he told me it's cheaper for him to fish in Alberta than BC. Pretty sad.

Some of the warnings could be kids, teens, etc. fishing during these famous May long campouts.

I am surprised at some though. In most juristictions in Canada, there are a couple of regs that there is an absolte zero tolerance policy for, and they get changed up from time to time.

Back home on PEI last year it was "Littering While Angling" No warning ticket, bang $200 fine. It was a result of landowners getting peeved at the garbage left behind, which they are responsible to clean up or get a ticket themselves.

Most of the time I've bumped into a CO, they were alone. Unlike police, they are unarmed and hardly experts in hand-to-hand combat. Now, are these poachers, losers, and clowns that break the law likely to be well behaved? Put yourself in their shoes. Would you be willing to lose a few teeth over some fish? Is it wise to play Clint Eastwood when you're outnumbered?

I'll be the first one to agree that these violators need to be taught a lesson. But for that to happen, the COs are going to need some clout - and they should have it. On their own, sometimes all they can do is issue warnings.

I applaud the good work they have done.

Cheers

Looked over the stats and WOW!!!!

Only 12% were for offences where the fish population was actually harmed.

The the remaining 88% were essentially administrative enforcement - barbed hooks and the like.

Strange - I'd thought that there would be more fish killing events.

regards,

Don

Firefrog every Fish and Wildlife Officer I have ever met is armed with a handgun, pepper spray etc and have as much hand to hand combat training as the police. Most aren't afraid to give a ticket. I would suspect that there are other reasons for the warnings and not because they are afraid of a guy using a worm. Looking at how few tickets are related to fish deaths ( as pointed out by Don) I suspect most are unknowing poachers that may deserve an education more than a ticket. Of course some need a lot more than a warning as well.

A lot of guys I know that "poach" was because they miss read the regs or were told by a friend what the law was. Ignorance is not excuse though.

Most of the time I've bumped into a CO, they were alone. Unlike police, they are unarmed and hardly experts in hand-to-hand combat. Now, are these poachers, losers, and clowns that break the law likely to be well behaved? Put yourself in their shoes. Would you be willing to lose a few teeth over some fish? Is it wise to play Clint Eastwood when you're outnumbered?

I'll be the first one to agree that these violators need to be taught a lesson. But for that to happen, the COs are going to need some clout - and they should have it. On their own, sometimes all they can do is issue warnings.

I applaud the good work they have done.

Cheers

Our COs here in BC are armed, travel in pairs, and are trained well.