Fly Fusion Forums

Another Good Weekend

lorney

Had another good weekend fishing. Lots of driving but it was worth it. Caught this pig on a #16 olive scud fishing the shallows. Crystal clear water so it made for some good sight fishing when the sun was out. Taped at 24" and fat. Was nice to release him and watch him swim away when everyone else on the lake was keeping everything they caught. Kept a few small ones for supper with my brothers family.

Was wondering if anyone knows why this guy wouldn't have a kype and be that dark spawning color that males usually get. Was up north and the ice just came off 2 weeks ago so I would have thought they would either be spawning or just finished. It was a male because some white milt came out when I picked him up. Just wondering if certain strains don't get the hook jaw. Anyone know?

post-1098-1212372498.jpg

Lorney,

magnificent fish! You must have really enjoyed that outing.

Here is a photo of a 3lb triploid with a well developed kype which it should not have due to it's age and being a triploid. For some reason this one developed one and compared to larger fish caught that same day he was the exception in possessing one.

Kyped.jpg

beed: I thought female too when I first landed it until that white milt came out when I was holding it. It was still a nice fight on a 5wt set up and my biggest rainbow to date. Made the trip for me.

albanna: nice fish man. That sure is a big kype on that male. What were you using for a fly?

Great fish Lorney! It looks like a female to me. Females get dark as well for spawning. Is it possible the fluid released was from the eggs breaking down inside her? She looks like she is already past peak egg size time and on her way to cleaning up.

Male triploids will still go through the morphological changes that come with spawning ( while the females stay chrome). They are however sterile.

Correct me if I am wrong but I think triploids are made by introducing the eggs to pressure in a pressure canister shortly after fertilization. I think that is how they do it. I think the extra cost comes from this process and the fact that the mortality rate is higher for the eggs.

Man. Trips. Easy. Not hard.

Males: Exhibit secondary sex characteristics. Kype, dark colours, sex drive

Females: Zero zilch nada sex characteristics. No eggs, no colours, no sex drive, nothin!

Beauty fish guys, I do say that's a female in the first pic, and past ripe if I've ever seen any. Her belly looks like it's just cleaning up from grey. Looks like a smokin good time, was it in AB?

Hey Brad. Yes I have been getting out quite a bit and have had some excellent weather whenever I go. When it was raining on you guys down here I was up north in beautiful +20 sunshine. I have put a lot of miles on but it has been worth it to fish some new water and get into some nice fish. Pretty understanding boss that knows I like to get out as much as I can in the spring and I fit these outings around work. Going this weekend for a 3 day canoe trip in northern saskatchewan. One lake has pike and walleye and the other has rainbows. Should be fun portaging between lakes and camping on the islands. Hopefully fishing will be good but it is just nice to get out in the middle of no where and enjoy the surroundings. We should get out down here sometime if I ever hang around for a weekend. I think kyle is itching to get at it on his next days off if yours fall on the same days.

Females: Zero zilch nada sex characteristics. No eggs, no colours, no sex drive, nothin!

sounds like my (insert family relation)'s wife, the more food the better and dont even think about sex. yikes

looks like a great day fishing. nice work