Fly Fusion Forums

Lake Magog Trip

cdock

Well I'm back from Lake Magog in Mt. Assininboine Prov. Park in BC. Trip didn't go exactly as planned. Took 2 days to get there instead of 1. Sat in a tent for almost 2 days through a snow storm. Got blisters the size on loonies on both feet. Finally on Tuesday the sun came out and I hit the lake for some fishing. Caught 8 cutthroat in 30 minutes. It was so easy. They had spawning colours and they were very soft so I figured I'd leave the other 100 or so I could see alone. Also I stunk like fish and the grizzly sow and her cub hanging out in the area would probably have made me out for some fresh food. I fished the lake where the creek entered (there is a debate whether it's Og or Magog Creek). Helicoptered out on Wednesday and heading to Kikomun Creek Prov. Park in about an hour. It was a blast of a trip and I'd suggest it to anyone. I would also suggest either flying in or at least getting the bulk of your gear flown in. Hiking 28km with 40lbs. wears you out pretty fast.

Thanks esleech for the Lake Magog Special streamer I picked up from you to catch these cutties. It worked like a charm. Perhaps the name gives it away? ;)

Lake Magog with Mt. Assininboine in the background.

IMG_0993.jpg

The creek feeding the lake.

IMG_1041.jpg

Fighting a cutty.

IMG_1024.jpg

In hand.

IMG_1032.jpg

Pushing 18".

IMG_1045.jpg

I can't say enough how awesome the trip was despite the problems. You can fly in if you wish and skip the hike. Perhaps the next time I go this will be my choosen method. After all there are another 4 lakes within a couple km hike to fish and lots of streams as well. It'll be a fishing trip next time and try out the surrounding areas.

• 1 month later...

The pictures are great. I always wanted to hike in there. I have a few questions. I was wondering if it is a good idea to get a National Park fishing license as well as a BC license to fish the lakes around Mt. Assiniboine? Also is there anywhere in Alberta that sells BC licenses? Do you have to reserve spots to camp there?

Thanks in advance.

The pictures are great. I always wanted to hike in there. I have a few questions. I was wondering if it is a good idea to get a National Park fishing license as well as a BC license to fish the lakes around Mt. Assiniboine? Also is there anywhere in Alberta that sells BC licenses? Do you have to reserve spots to camp there?

Thanks in advance.

The lakes close to Mt. Assiniboine are all in the provinical park so a National Park license isn't needed, just a BC license. However there are many streams and lakes on the way you could fish that do require a National Park license. Map it out before you go. I decided to avoid the extra cost. You don't have to reserve a spot if you are tenting. It's a first come first serve basis and random camping is allowed as well (no fires any time though which kinda sucks). It you want to stay at one of the huts or a cabin then you have to reserve. Follow proper camping rules (don't eat near your tent, cook downwind, etc.) as there are grizzlies everywhere. If you are thinking of doing it, DO IT! It was so awesome. Don't go too early though. We went at the end of June and had to hike through waste deep snow for a few kms. I think August would be ideal.