Fly Fusion Forums

These Boots Are Made For Hiking

Hello

Hiking season is coming up, I hope. I was trying to get a hold of some Meindl Glockners for this season. When I finally tracked some down, it was going to cost me around $500!! :o I generally trash my boots within 3 years, so I am a little hesitant to spend that kind of money. Has anyone tried these boots?

I settled on some Cabelas Mountain Hunters. I have wide feet and haven't been able to find too many extra wide boots in these parts. Cabelas has a great selection. They look like Meindl knockoffs, made in Italy. Even so, they still cost over $300 when all was said and done - that was when the dollar exchange was good, too.

The best boots I ever had so far were Rocky Cornstalkers. Recently, Rocky has been making their boots in China and their quality has gone, well, to China. Are there any good boots made in Canada? Do tell. Thanks.

Cheers

There's a place in Brentwood mall, which is a specialty store for odd shaped feet - they had a few different types of hiking boots in stock last time I was in.

http://www.foothealthcentre.com/contact_us.htm

I second this suggestion they have very good service and they found a pair of shoes for me for work which have been excellent. I even had them suggest that they would give me the correct sizing and I could go find shoes elsewhere if I wanted.

I have the opposite foot issue and have a really narrow foot (BB)!! I went with Dunham and will never look back. I know they make the waffle stomper in EEE. I'm not sure if New Balance makes the Waffle Stomper anymore, but there should be a few shops that still have them in calgary or online! Get the red carbon Fiber ones if you can! And cost is pretty good, also!

Good luck!

P

Mountain equipment Co-op generally has the best selection of serious hiking boots I've ever seen. And they're not-for-profit, so prices are pretty fair too.

I always liked hiking boots with a welt and sewn-on vibram soles, so I'd get Alpine Shoe in Kensington to replace them every year. He's been at it since at least 1974. Seems most manufacturers are now using those 1 piece bonded on soles, and everybody uses a different type, so it's not always so simple now getting them replaced locally.

As for price, I paid close to $400 for good leather 3/4 shank Raichle hiking boots more than 10 years ago---made in Europe, back then of course. Anyway those cows aren't getting any less valuable today either.

I always liked hiking boots with a welt and sewn-on vibram soles, so I'd get Alpine Shoe in Kensington to replace them every year. He's been at it since at least 1974.

Yeah Gary and Donna at Alpine are the best!!

P