Fly Fusion Forums

Pontoon Boat Selection

Guest 001

Guest RedWiggler

Does anyone know what store in Calgary has the best in store selection of Pontoon boats? I would like to have one by Monday evening at the latest. While you are looking I will ask which name brand you think is the best, I went to Russell Sports and Wholesale yesterday and they both carry mainly Outcast. Wholsale has an orange DU Colorado that looked pretty cool, are they good ones. I would prefer to buy a high end product. It will be used mainly for the Bow and Lakes so maybe and 8' or 9' over a 10'?

Is there a huge differance between welded and stitched seems?

For me, I would stick with Ouctact or Scadden...highest quality in my opinion. For size wise...it depends on usage. 8' is minimum for rivers I feel, and a 10' can also be too much to control for some. If I was getting a new boat for rivers (Bow) and lakes, I would get an Outcast PAC series in 9', or a 9' Scadden with a casting platform.

Guest tallieho

I have a outcast pac 800 best one for deflate slightly put in the back of ext.cab g.m.Had this boat for probaly 10 years

Guest RedWiggler

I just got back from looking at an Outcast IR-10' with a standing platform. Im not sure if I want a 10' but I really want the standing platform and the guy at the store said I cant get one under 10'. I will have to see whats up, the float tube is good but it takes so ga'dam long to get anywere.

I think that the extra length when you have a standing platform is intentional - and improves stability. I recently bought a Scadden Skykomish Sunrise from North Fork Outdoors, which is 10'6.

No issues with maneuverability - although it is a bit of a bear on really windy days, but last weekend I added a trolling motor and battery to address that issue ;^)

I was looking at the Outcast boats as well, and the primary reasons for choosing the Scadden model over the Outcast was the combination of casting platform, capacity, and the river rating.

I recently bought the outcast 10IR w/ standing platform. I finally got it out on the water over the long weekend from a long wait being set up in my basement just taunting me. I'm a 320 lb man and it performed amazing. I wanted a boat that could hold me without any worries and this one did the trick. For the first time i was able to get out on the water with more than just myself and my rod and not worry about sinking the boat. I packed it full, had the motor, battery, cooler, me gear and all. By far the best purchase i've made for fishing. I was a little worrisome about the casting platform when i was looking at buying a boat, but heard good things about. When i got it out on the water, i tested it out in about 2' of water just in case i baled. Incredible. Nothing but stability. I tested it leaning forward against the stabilizer bar and didn't tip. I'm quite impressed with it. A wonderful feature to have. You can standup and stretch the legs, standing gets you up higher and gives better visibility when needed. Once again, for those considering a pontoon boat, I highly recommend the Outcast 10IR Standup. Cant beat the price at 850, and the quality is amazing.

Mike